Spaaaaace

“Utterly Flawless launch”

5 Likes
2 Likes

I dragged myself out of bed to watch it go up. Good times. Now the waiting game on the unfolding begins.

3 Likes
2 Likes

Call it the “JWST” in lieu of saying his name.

1 Like
1 Like

Great stuff but the next 30 days of the unfolding is gonna be a nail biter and it can’t be serviced like Hubble so no pressure!

kermit-nail-biter

3 Likes
3 Likes
1 Like
3 Likes

/s

11 Likes
3 Likes

Aft Sunshield Pallet

Eep! It’s happening. I’d be curious to know where exactly the crucial deployments are, though i suppose they’re all crucial given there are 300 points of failure.

2 Likes

Like you said, they’re all crucial. All steps must be complete before the final orbital insertion burn otherwise the satellite will be off balance at the moment of rocket fire. If the telescope rotates and points back at the earth or sun it’ll be a scrapped mission.

3 Likes

Oh, so there is one of those? I thought it was running off inertia and the earth’s gravity bringing it to a stop at L2, but it makes sense for those last minute adjustments.

2 Likes

The Ariane rocket boost is deliberately not enough to bring it to its final position. The final burn will push it to the final position. If the Ariane boosted too far then the telescope would have to turn around to fire its engine, which would mean the telescope would face the sun and ruin everything.

4 Likes

Hah. It is a joke, but the Brits lose a F35 fighter because someone forgot to remove a rain cover.

3 Likes
4 Likes

Finland will procure 64 new F-35A Lightning II fighter jets from US manufacturer Lockheed Martin to replace its ageing fleet of Hornet planes.

4 Likes