SpaceX plans to send unmanned Dragon spacecraft to Mars by 2018, with humans to follow

[Read the post]

4 Likes

[quote=“xeni, post:1, topic:77341”]
send unmanned Dragon spacecraft to Mars by 2018, with humans to follow[/quote]

All things considered, I think I’d rather go inside the spacecraft.

31 Likes

Late stage capitalism.

7 Likes

Isn’t this Late Stage Colonialism?

11 Likes

Will Elon Musk claim Mars in the name of SPECTRE?

1 Like

How many stages does a capitalist Mars rocket need?

10 Likes

As many as the market will bear!

15 Likes

Are these going to be able to deliver payload to Mars, or is this just a proof of concept flight?

We could leave it there, I’m sure Mark Watney will find a use for it :slight_smile:

6 Likes

He’ll science the shit out of it, no doubt.

4 Likes

So, the moon by 2019 in time for the 50th anniversary of Apollo 11?

3 Likes

I hope it’s very very early stage Colonialism.

8 Likes

They can’t just land a human crew the same way as “Curiosity?”

2 Likes

This is about Mars, not the moon. But SpaceX is contracted to launch one of the Lunar X Prize rovers, currently scheduled for the second half of 2017.

The first planned flight of the Space Launch System is scheduled to toss an unmanned Orion spacecraft around the Moon on a free return trajectory in 2018.

China, India and Japan have unmanned lunar landers currently scheduled for around that time too.

No-one has any plans - that is, green-lighted, funded plans - to send humans to the moon or Mars.

3 Likes

Nope. The parachutes don’t scale up.

Mars has only about 1% of earth’s atmosphere. Curiosity’s parachute slowed it from about 1000mph to 200mph - before releasing the rover to land on rockets. With the mass needed for a manned landing you’d need a parachute the size of a stadium. You’d be hitting the ground by the time it fully opened.

6 Likes

The alternative landing method, from the ‘Wile E. Coyote’ school of interplanetary flight, uses giant air pillows to cushion a very bouncy landing. I don’t know of any astronaut that would like to be landed in bubble wrap, like a FedEx parcel.

5 Likes

That’s what the Pathfinder, Spirit and Opportunity rovers used. It wasn’t used for Curiosity because Curiosity is much larger and the airbag system didn’t scale up well.

Also the system used heat shields AND parachutes AND rockets AND air bags. And like Curiosity;s sky crane, a separate throw-away lander with it’s own power and computer and other systems to control it all. There was some valid criticism over how complicated it was.

3 Likes

That was actually the point of the joke. It was a joke. Maybe the video didn’t work.

2 Likes

I’m doing my part!

6 Likes

Jokes don’t scale up very well.

6 Likes

First Stage Diasporism?

3 Likes