Spain's right-wing government orders brutal police crackdown on Catalan independence referendum

The seven judges thing is a traditional catalonian tonge-twister

Setze jutges d’un jutjat mengen fetge d’un penjat; si el penjat es despengés es menjaria els setze fetges dels setze jutges que l’han jutjat.

“Sixteen judges of a court eat the liver of a hanged man, if the hanged man was brougth down he would eat the sixteen livers of the sixteen judges that judged him” would be my own bad translation.

On the more general issue, look, we can be here all eternity discussing the many, many, MANY cases of Catalanophobia in Spain, of discrimination and hatred toward “charnegos” by the Catalonian elites, and get nowhere. Or well, just get to where we are right now, I guess.

The underlaying question is, IMHO, the same. Removing all that for a second… how can you rule over a population that does not want to be ruled by your institutions and laws. It doesnt matter in the end if they have good reasons, bad reasons, incorrect reasons or whatever. It is just that they are growing, and growing, and the question keeps moving from the far theoritical side when they were about 20% or less to what seems to be a tendency of simple mayority in the near future and more than that later.

As long as we do nothing to help heal those rifts and also provide no safe, institutional way for this pressure to be addressed, we are bound to end up in a very ugly place.

1 Like

That’s a freaking good synopsis for a horror film starring a liverless revenant. :joy:

1 Like

No, let’s not. (Emphasis mine.)

If we dig into history, we will find plenty of reasons to hate one another. I am quite aware of the hostilities, oppression and trouble Catalans went through historically. This doesn’t give them a right or an excuse to be racist, nationalist, chauvinist arseholes when they are in a group large enough to sideline someone else. Also, this doesn’t make striving for independence or even complete national sovereignty a “left” project.

I am also acutely aware that Rajoy’s government is currently reacting in the worst possible way, the way leading to the worst constitutional crisis in Spain since the Franco regime. This the decision that the referendum is violating the constitution doesn’t make it right to take a page of the book of true political oppression.

This shitpiling is leading nowhere but to a very dangerous situation not only for Spain and Catalunya. It’s endangering the whole European project.

Besides, you have disqualified yourself from rational and historically informed debate by your comparison above. I will not let this stand.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.