Speaking of Faith (with all apologies to Krista Tippett)

2 Likes
2 Likes
1 Like

I doubt this surprised anyone.

2 Likes
1 Like

I have to suspect (without data, mind you) that the white evangelicals are driving this in both ways. Many churches around here (so, yeah, limited sample) are quite open about Democrats being of the devil and not welcome. We have, as a consequence, not attended church in over 3 years. Driving folks who lean progressive out of the churches while attracting more fascists into them would certainly account for the trends mentioned in the article. It is almost certainly more complex than that, and the trends in other areas may be different, but that’s what’s going on in the Shenandoah Valley.

8 Likes
2 Likes

Anyone who proclaims that their political beliefs are a matter of faith should immediately be treated as a bit of a loon. To allow such wanton, unchecked irrationality in the public square opens the door to anything. Anything!

8 Likes
1 Like

Uh oh! The Anglicans have gone woke! /s

3 Likes

A spokesperson for the Church of England said: “This is nothing new. Christians have recognised since ancient times that God is neither male nor female, yet the variety of ways of addressing and describing God found in scripture has not always been reflected in our worship.

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

2 Likes
1 Like

In the States, that’s known as a pre-Vatican II service. Hard to find, but the people who want it really love it. We have one place in Chicago that does it.

The priests totally ignore the parishioners, face away from them, and speak only in Latin. Oh, but they still have people pass the plate/basket for donations, of course! No turning to each other and Offering the Peace or anything modern like that. I find it incredibly insulting, but authoritarian types love it.

4 Likes

In Brazil they are called “Tradicionalistas” (traditionalists). Some factions are very radical and claim that there were no Popes since Pius XII… They made a deal with the Church and have their Tridentine masses in Campos dos Goytacazes, north of Rio, among other states.

4 Likes

I always love that part! I’m not catholic, but my dad’s side is, and mass really is one of my favorite kinds of Christian services.

4 Likes
1 Like

Here there’s a Catholic church that goes halfway. It has the standard mass form, but when the priest is praying, he faces away from the assembly, but when he is preaching or reading the gospel, he faces the assembly. I think that sort of makes sense.

1 Like