Speaking of Faith (with all apologies to Krista Tippett)

A thread on any and all aspects of religion and faith, good or bad.

All stories on religion are welcome… just remember Wheaton’s Law…

5 Likes

Thanks for starting this! I’ll bring over what I just posted in the positive trans news thread…

9 Likes
4 Likes

Don’t be a dick?

6 Likes

You know it…

game of thrones awww snap GIF by Syfy’s The Wil Wheaton Project

14 Likes

This might be a good one to cross-post in one of the political threads as well:

7 Likes

As usual, by “religious” they mean “Abrahamaic” beliefs. Jews, Christians, Muslims.

Wicca, reconstructionism, new age religions, Hinduism, Buddhism, and Sikhism are all growing in the US- But apparently none of those count as “religions” to Politico. I mean, I get why they’re not interested, because those are diverse groups and not a solid voting block, but we’re still talking about several million people.

9 Likes

Hey, don’t forget Scientology!

tom cruise magnolia GIF

3 Likes

I think the difference between the religions listed by @MikeTheBard and Scientology is that Scientology is pretty much a cult and a grift, while as the others have a history and meaning well beyond parting dupes from their cash… One can easily become a wiccan or a buddhist without having to pony up… And they have value other than how they connect to a specific source of cultural and political power who can exploit you.

7 Likes

The study measured things like going to a house of worship or otherwise meet for a form of communion (small ‘c’) regularly in the local area. There are Hindu temples, Sikh Gurdwaras, etc. so those would be counted.

5 Likes

Right.

Geez, tough room!

Joke withdrawn.

Cross-posting my reply here. I’m still trying to review those figures:

6 Likes
5 Likes

ETA

Interestingly, neither Bolsonaro, who never made his religion very clear, nor his wife, who is a member of a Protestant church, attended the event.

2 Likes

Is Bolsonaro back in Brazil after fleeing prosecution to Miami? Is the heat off him now?

He didn’t used to miss the “Marching for Christ” festival, but for some reason He is so silent these days…

2 Likes

Ah, “for some reason.”

Arrested Development Flirt GIF

:+1:

3 Likes
1 Like

The right wing of the Southern Baptists, the largest Protestant denomination in America, is now — like conservatives more broadly — cracking down on what it sees as dangerous liberal drift. Most people in the denomination have long believed that the office of head pastor should be reserved for men. But an ultraconservative faction with a loud online presence is going further, pressing for ideological purity and arguing that female pastors are a precursor to acceptance of homosexuality and sexual immorality.

At issue is the very definition of “pastor,” and whether a ban on female pastors should extend to titles like “children’s pastor” or “women’s pastor,” which have long been seen as appropriate roles for women because they are not teaching or in authority over adult men.

While the denomination as a whole is overwhelmingly white, Black women are heavily represented as pastors among the churches that have female head pastors.

(gift link)

2 Likes

female pastors ==> homosexuality ==> sexual immorality ==> dancing

Slippery slope, my brethren.

7 Likes