Speaking of Faith (with all apologies to Krista Tippett)

These pop up on my feed now and again and they are definitely pushing back on the most extreme of the evangelical movement.

4 Likes
3 Likes

:clap: :clap: :clap:
Reverend Raphael Warnock, U.S. Senator and keen observer and understander, is spot-on:

Clip should start at 38:53, which is the start of his interview.
No need to wade through all the stuff beforehand.

Who we are as people of Jan5 and Jan6.
Spiritual but not religious? Test this claim.
Center the children in Gaza and Israel as a pathway to getting to a ceasefire.
Addressing Dr. King’s assessment that 11am on Sundays is America’s most segregated hour.
And more…

I have so much to learn from Reverend Warnock.

ETA: added the info re start of clip

5 Likes
9 Likes

Mike Yard K GIF by The Nightly Show

3 Likes

This is interesting, in that it gives some history of how Christians have thought about abortion, from a Christian perspective:

1 Like

[The cost of a Ramadan iftar meal around the world | Religion News | Al Jazeera]

4 Likes
1 Like

This is the title of an opinion piece in the WaPo. “This Easter, let’s not try to pretend Jesus was a ‘Palestinian Jew’” I can’t find it without a paywall-it was a free post on my FB feed.
Soon they will try to discredit the idea that Jesus was Jewish at all, lived in a place called Judaea and was a rabbi.

4 Likes

Some people are already at the point of “Jesus was persecuted for preaching the Gospel of Make America Great Again,” so I think we’re well beyond that point already.

3 Likes

I assume you mean…

https://archive.ph/hemUV

but yeah, some Christians have been trying to divorce Jesus from his Jewish origins for centuries… but Reza Aslan discussed this not too long ago…

Jesus of Nazareth was very much a Jewish radical, opposed to Roman occupation of his land, and he died for it.

4 Likes

[Monkey Man | Official Trailer (youtube.com)]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g8zxiB5Qhsc

2 Likes
3 Likes

Weird, but I have a day calendar and it says Eid is today (when literally everything else says it’s tomorrow!).

Either way, it’s never too early to play the Kominas!

Whenever it starts, I hope traffic’s not too bad before/after prayers at the mosque I drive by!

2 Likes

The holiday starts the evening before.

3 Likes

That’s what I thought, but my day calendar is the only one I’ve seen that says it’s today, rather than tomorrow… :woman_shrugging:

1 Like

Apparently it’s determined by when the Moon is actually seen?

The timing of Eid al-Fitr is determined by the sighting of the crescent moon, in accordance with the Muslim lunar calendar. Saudi media outlets reported that the crescent moon was not visible on Monday.

2 Likes

Yep, I knew that… Hence, it’s more variable…

2 Likes