Spectacular 21-car pileup at Daytona 500

(The real fun starts around 1:50)

3 Likes

Watching the circuit of Ireland rally was always great. Guys in Ford Sierras flying down narrow bóthareens lined with rock walls and gorse hedges, while the locals stand mere inches away from disaster. A bit more exciting than “go fast turn left”

6 Likes

What, like this?

8 Likes

That’ll buff out.

2 Likes

But I actually prefer this sort of thing…

3 Likes

ISTR that under the “Car of Tomorrow” rules the only difference between a Chevy, Ford, or Toyota was the decals. It beats me why people want to take perfectly reasonable custom built racecars and bolt farby plastic sedans on top of them.

1 Like

Good, but not very creepy. I envisioned real human eyes to make it really creepy. Bloodshot even.

2 Likes

I really want to see the supercars race in Newcastle NSW. Last year i was a week late. The year before i was a week early. Maybe this year i can get the timing right.

But aerodynamics means that cars in a line can go faster than an individual car…

Social Science at 190mph on NASCAR’s biggest superspeedways” says:

the way to out-compete is to out-cooperate, selectively and coincidentally, by entering into drafting partnerships […] if a racer in a line wants to break out and get ahead, either by displacing another racer up the line or by creating a new line, he needs at least one partner […] Such cooperation between rivals may last several laps or only a few seconds at 190 MPH, to pass one rival or maybe two, before defection occurs and a racer looks for another rival to partner with.

1 Like

This might be better if it were a genuine team sport (e.g. like the Tour de France where peloton, breakaway, and other drafting is paramount) and if team tactics were a significant factor in getting one’s leader to the front. But on tracks like that there seems to be too little room to overtake given the width of the ‘peloton’ - and if the drivers want to buddy up and then double-cross people why not sit at home and play Diplomacy or Risk? :wink: (Just joking. Other social science type experiments in the form of board games are available.)

Interestingly, the same issue in F1 is not just that a car can get a tow from the hole in the air the one in front has made, but that some cars (more than others - cough Mercedes) are much worse at following other cars at certain distances due to the instability of the air coming off the car in front.

3 Likes

As with hand-egg (aka American football) this is one of those North American things that most of the rest of the world just doesn’t get. It seems to be primarily a drinking and picnicking event, consequently the more boring the better so as not to distract from the drinking. Not that there is anything wrong with drinking and picknicing.

2 Likes

I didn’t know that. Thanks!

I always knew NASCAR was like a carnival, but I didn’t know they used ferrous wheels. :wink:

7 Likes

4 Likes

What you want my friend is 24 Hours of Lemons. An endurance race in which the cars and parts work done to them have to total less than 500 bucks.

7 Likes

Jesus didn’t build any of these guys’ hot rods.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.