Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

The plot thickens.

ETA: For anyone getting a paywall: archive.ph

5 Likes
6 Likes

Walks like a Russian, smells like a Russian, tastes like a Russian…

1 Like

Ehh… It kind of boils down to local politics and cultural attaches.

I don’t think there’s much appetite for celebrating Russia’s imperialist and colonialist agendas, now.

1 Like

Smells more like social engineering to me.

hit me up if you want me to spend a giftlink on the far longer new york times article

I’ll apologise profusely if I’m getting this wrong

:cricket: :cricket: :cricket:

2 Likes

Yeah… I think Dyer looked at the 170,000 or so troops assembled and thought “Russia wouldn’t be stupid enough to invade at that strength.” …except they were…

:man_facepalming:t3:

Clearly the Russians forgot one of the more subtle WW2 lessons on Blitzkrieg: the French ignored their own recon reports and didn’t bomb the hell out of the invading army when it was stuck in a single column on a road to the Ardennes.

… and :ukraine: didn’t repeat the French mistake …

1 Like
5 Likes
4 Likes
4 Likes

Probably belongs here.

4 Likes

[…]

The alleged snooping on America’s spies was revealed during a demo unveiled at a meeting between A6 and another surveillance startup, Zignal Labs, which is known for sucking up reams of social media data from Twitter. The two companies were in the midst of talks regarding a potential partnership and, to impress Zignal, A6’s rep, Brendon Clark, allegedly used the firm’s tech to track a mobile phone from the parking lot of the NSA to a military training base in the Middle East.

[…]

4 Likes
3 Likes
3 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes
2 Likes

A followup to this article, perhaps?

At least one of the speakers on this Rational Security podcast was reluctant to condemn the NSO group, but apparently Spain had other ideas.

1 Like
1 Like