Spies, Lies and Realpolitik

GCHQ boss warns China can rewrite ‘the global operating system’ in its own authoritarian image

Rough place that jah booty is.

Supreme Court to consider terrorism suspect’s request to learn more about his CIA-sponsored torture

3 Likes

This is some crafty business. He was recruited before entering the military, and was operational the entire time.

He worked as an intelligence contractor from 2011 to 2019, where he had access to highly classified material. He applied for several positions at the CIA, National Security Agency and Defense Intelligence Agency, prosecutors said.

Interesting to see the old fashioned craft still hobbling on. The seventeen years they are asking is surprisingly light. I wonder what his predicament would have been in Putin’s Russia had the roles been reversed.

3 Likes
8 Likes

I would guess top ten list for a future Coen Brothers movie, or maybe a season of Fargo.

5 Likes

Us? Pwn SolarWinds? With our reputation? Russian spy chief makes laughable denial of supply chain attack

A Russian spymaster has denied that his agency carried out the infamous SolarWinds supply chain attack in a public relations move worthy of the Internet Research Agency.

Sergei Naryshkin, head of the SVR spy agency, made his denial in a BBC interview broadcast on Tuesday.
[…]

3 Likes
1 Like
5 Likes

Yeah, I’m sure that the Russian mafia has nothing to do with this at all.

1 Like

Be careful, 007. It’s just had a new coat of paint: Today is D-day for would-be Qs to apply to MI6

1 Like
3 Likes
4 Likes

The information they gathered made it clear that the FE had helped the NSA to spy on leading politicians in Sweden, Norway, the Netherlands and France, as well as Germany.

Danish intelligence also helped the US agency to spy on the Danish foreign and finance ministries as well as a Danish weapons manufacturer. The FE also cooperated with the NSA on spying operations against the US government itself.

Fucking hell. This is going to rock the Nordics. And spying on their own government ministries on behalf of a foreign power??

I’m so bummed I cancelled my newspaper subscription this week. Would be interesting to see what Norwegian media and the government make of it.

9 Likes

[…]
While the report did not say which country Selahaddin Gulen was arrested in, he was believed to be living in Kenya.
[…]

6 Likes

In other microwave/directed energy news…

To find out more about the MFP anti-drone system and what these other techniques were, The War Zone spoke with Dr. Greg Avicola of DARPA’s Tactical Technology Office, who serves as Program Manager for the Mobile Force Protection program. Avicola revealed previously unreleased details about the MFP system, including the fact that it has been demonstrated using Lockheed Martin’s MORFIUS, another counter-drone interceptor that uses a high-power microwave directed energy weapon to defeat drone swarms.

To accomplish this, the system uses a DARPA-developed “decision engine” to classify potential threats, form a “local engagement picture” of the surrounding airspace, and then make recommendations to the human operator about deploying its interceptors. “It’s been trained to look at sensor data and ascertain based upon the characteristics of what it’s seeing what it thinks things are and what the probability is of various things are being drones or not drones and then provide recommendations to the operator.”

This is disturbing on many levels, but the second part stood out to me. A lot of people really would prefer there not to be autonomous killing machines flying around. We are appeased by being told that there is a human operator in the system. From this perspective, though, the trend may be the machine making the decisions and the human operator green-lighting the machine’s plan.

The more I read about this stuff the more plausible the stories become of directed energy weapons being used by, and against, US troops in Syria.

4 Likes
5 Likes

Biden to Putin: Get your ransomware gangs under control and don’t you dare cyber-attack our infrastructure

5 Likes
6 Likes