SpinChill Portable Drink Chiller

I’m not circumcised.
It’s just wear’n’tear.

2 Likes

When did I add the home shopping network to my RSS feed?

7 Likes

Thought. What about running this right in the freezer? Could it still chill a can in a minute?

Portability is almost always a plus but some of us don’t leave the lair or office often enough and have the fixed installations on hand. And there are situations when we have the fridge, but all the cans are stored outside for the reason of space and somebody forgot to put a warm one into said fridge after taking out a cold one.

Todo: a temperature sensor and a datalogger, and measure changes of temperature of the liquid with time during different cooling methods.

1 Like

I can think of very few situations where I have planned ahead enough to bring beer, ice and this device, but not planned ahead enough to actually have put the beer in the ice.

13 Likes

Keep us posted of your results.

Boo, I was hoping for a hand-cranked Peltier cooler.

6 Likes

I like to think of Bud Light and its ilk as “Club Soda With Benefits.”

4 Likes

Is Boing Boing the new K-Tel?

7 Likes

Nope, more like SkyBoing

15 Likes

It’s fucking close to water.

Boeing Boeing?

2 Likes

I see what you were trying to do there. It didn’t work.

Without significant agitation I can’t see this being any better than manually rotating slowly in terms of contact with surface of ice. And with agitation you have issues with losing carbonation.

This works without the spinny device, too. Just plunge can into ice water and spin it with your hand. 30 seconds is usually fine, but a minute should definitely do the trick.

Even mostly laminar flow, without much of turbulence and without entrapping the ambient gas, will do enough in getting rid of the temperature gradient in the fluid.

Carbonation will not be lost even after agitation, if the liquid gets enough time to dissolve or bubble out the small bubbles that would love to become nucleation centers. There’s significant agitation during transportation, mind. Also mind that the can is a closed system, nothing goes in or out after it is filled and closed. The equilibrium state of a closed, pressurized can is a significant amount of the gas dissolved in the liquid, without bubbles. Only once depressurized, there’s suddenly too much gas in the liquid and it breaks out in bubbles, like a diver’s blood when the decompression stops get neglected.

Or maybe I just want my fucking beer cold. Just one beer, right now. Not your beer, my beer. You find a charity to chill your beer and leave me the hell alone, how about that?

2 Likes

What about “Spin’n’Chill”, a portable car-powered (or perhaps fed from a big-ass lithium battery? or perhaps mains?) fridge for one can? Put the can in, Peltier elements get pressed onto the surface. Then power them up and spin the can slowly.
Advantage, no ice or other consumables needed.
Disadvantage, lots of power needed.

For hand-cranked, you’d need either a generator for the Peltiers, or a mechanical cooler (Stirling, for example).

…thought… a steampunk setting where instead of electricity there’s mechanical energy delivered to the houses by shafts and transmissions under the city…

1 Like

I think this is for people who are so forgetful as to not have put all the cans into the ice for the big party, but were remberful enough to have bought one of the spin-chillers and put it in a place they could easily stumble upon in such a dire emergency (hanging, say, from a lanyard on their neck).

Or perhaps these are more targeted to friends of such people, who are well-versed in either drinking warm beers or waiting until the party is half-over to consume some.

I just pay an Uber-driver to dump it onto Rob Rhinehart’s lawn. That way it’s free, and good for the environment!

The Sharper Boing?

4 Likes