Sports Illustrated "dead" as 70-year-old magazine hit with mass layoffs

1 Like

Undead, more likely. Like Forbes, a shambling SEO farm and vanity press zombie publication.

2 Likes

This really is sad. SI was a great magazine in its day, and that ‘day’ lasted for decades. The quality of writing, the in-depth reporting, the humorous columnists and the fantastic photography and illustrations set a standard that others tried to copy and just could not. I was sad to let my subscription lapse 5+ years ago, but it had already started to morph into a hybrid of sports / Entertainment Weekly / fanstasy sports type of mag and i lost my interest in it. RIP SI.

3 Likes

Figured out what I was seeing. It looks like they closed the Wildlife Watch desk. Not mass layoffs, but a handful of folks out of a job.

3 Likes

Yes, and the illustration had to have a cleavage model front n center, not a Secretariat cover, or the one which proclaimed baseballist bryce harper (I call him mr expensive) “the chosen one,” or one of the many covers featuring Muhammed Ali.

I never could figure out what models ahem sporting half their bikinis had to do with sports, but I’m just a girl, so what do I know?

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.