Squee alert: A hummingbird feeds its teeny-tiny chicks

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2020/10/03/squee-alert-a-hummingbird-feeds-its-teeny-tiny-chicks.html

10 Likes

“Ah, sweet, sweet nectar; just like Momma used to regurgitate.”

20 Likes

Weirdly, it never occurred to me before that hummingbird chicks are teeny tiny. In retrospect it is obvious.

11 Likes

Maybe it’s just me, but the human hand in the picture is really distracting. Sure, momma bird ignores it, it’s probably just steadying the branch… I’ve just been conditioned to minimize contact with wild animals, and that kind of… familiarity, seems disrespectful to me.

6 Likes

Needs a banana for scale. That human hand could be Trump’s!

5 Likes

I’m pretty sure that’s why comments are turned off for the video, endless very reasonable “debate” about the hand in the picture

1 Like

Not necessarily. Some species are born fully grown.

5 Likes

Thanks for sharing! The noble hummingbird and her repurposed ping pong ball nest.
My neighbour is an avid and revered gardener in town and he plants these resplendent red conical flowers to attract hummingbirds.
I set out a sprinkler in the early morning one day and one hummingbird hovered around the sprinkler as it oscillated to shower. Was really a sight!
Still am salty about my neighbour not keeping his damn hummingbirds off my lawn.

8 Likes
14 Likes

Looking at the size of the baby, versus the length of Mom’s beak… yikes.

4 Likes

Is it wrong that I want to know how many hummingbird eggs it takes to make an omelet?

1 Like

Hummingbirds are the original Angry Birds. Mom has a couple of feeders in the front of the house, and there are dogfights daily among the hummingbirds over access. They are cantankerous little so-and-sos.

8 Likes

I refuse to squee…I refuse to squee…I refus…SQUEEEEEEEEEEE

2 Likes

So much squee that you’ll get tired of so much squee!

3 Likes

reminds me of the older Smarter Every Day episode, although here the human interaction is the highlight and especially Destin’s facial expressions.

1 Like

We’ve got a couple nests in the bushes of our front yard. My favourite birds. Wickedly territorial though, wow do they get into dustups.

5 Likes

Such a shame that we don’t have hummingbirds here in the UK; our climate is pretty benign, as they live in parts of the US with much colder winters than ours, they’d likely survive quite easily, but I guess that big expanse of water makes it tricky for them to negotiate.
:slightly_frowning_face:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.