Sriracha Ketchup from Heinz will soon be a thing

Why are there only two options? Why are people so militant about this? No one can just fucking suggest other options. Everything other people do is always wrong. Not different, fucking wrong. It makes the Internet such a boring place.

Per your suggestions, Worcestershire has anchovies, so as a vegetarian I don’t eat it. And I find HP atrocious. By your rigid, stupid standards I don’t have any options for grilled cheese.

1 Like

You might find the internet more relaxing if you just mentally prepend all statements with “For me…”, or “In my view”. I mean, sure, everyone could always start with “In my personal opinion, and you may not agree, and hey, that’s fine” to every post ever, but it just seems a lot easier if we all take that for granted.

I mean, you know, just my opinion. You can do it your way if you prefer.

5 Likes

Beats me, but I’ll mix and match just about everything and will occasionally even have some cheese with my chutneymustardmayosrirachaHPketchupBBQsauce-on-toast.

Autocondimentors FTW.

1 Like

While normally that’s my standard practice (pretending everyone is saying things with “for me” instead of just being pricks), it’s about how people write that makes it very difficult.

@woodster said “Only two options for grilled cheese,” which automatically invalidates what I enjoy. Instead of saying “Better options for grilled cheese are…” You can still mentally put “I think…” in front, but he’s instead saying “what you like isn’t for me” rather than “what you like is so outlandish that you might as well be putting assorted sizes and shapes of nails on your grilled cheese, you’re so wrong.”

Well, me. At least, I want to see what this stuff tastes like on fries and burgers and things before dismissing it. Sounds potentially tasty!

1 Like

Except @woodster mentioned immediately after the ‘only two options’, a third one, preferred by ‘the missus’.

It was obviously hyperbole - and I suspect a reference to an old Lea & Perrins advert.

I’m pretty sure you can put what you want on your cheese sandwich.

1 Like

There’s some very decent vegetarian Worcestershire sauces out there you might try.

Although, personally, I’ve never heard of putting any sort of sauce at all on grilled cheese outside of, well, cheese. Maybe it’s an American thing? I’ve always known it as just melted cheese on buttery bread, served with tomato soup. Though my dad likes it with yellow mustard and Miracle Whip, which tastes vile to me.

You know, compared comment sections on the internet, assorted nails on grilled cheese doesn’t sound half bad. Just sayin’…

1 Like

I’m Canadian, so maybe we like ketchup more than most? I have lots of
friends that put it on Kraft Dinner.

I’ll have to look into these vegetarian Worcestershires.

How about gravy?

Poutine sandwiches?

http://dudefoods.com/poutine-grilled-cheese-sandwich/

Sorry. But that just sounds like anal lube.

I’m a big fan of putting Sweet Baby Ray’s bbq sauce on my Grilled cheese. But I know it’s basically just molasses and tomato paste.

Most of the time, I usually put cold hummus on top of the completed grilled cheese after cooking it.

But I eat everything with hummus. Food is simply a vehicle for delivering hummus into my gullet.

1 Like

Dude. Lighten up. It’s just cheese on toast. Do you really think I’m judging people who put anything other than my preferred options on theirs (esp when, as someone points out below, my own much-loved wife chooses something different for hers)? You go ahead and put what you like on that bad boy - I’ll do the same on mine - and we can all get along, instead of insisting that every internet comment is written in legalese.

I’m a sensitive soul and I try hard not to upset people - but I really didn’t think anyone could take offence at what I wrote about my (obviously personal) choice of condiments.

What’s he gonna do about it, pull a knife on ya?

Annie’s makes a vegan Worcestershire. It’s a lot sweeter than Lea & Perrins though.

I can’t believe we’re still doing this, and in a thread about mixing the Huy Fong with Ketchup.

It’s 2015. Sriracha is the new Ketchup.

I’m still trying to find a good chilli sauce that doesn’t have sugar or
onion in it (Garlic is OK, it doesn’t make me ill for some reason), and
is easily available in the UK. If I get enough lemon drop chillies this
year I willl try to make my own sauce from them.

I’ve never worked with lemon drops, but I highly recommend the “do it yourself” approach if you want a good hot sauce. It doesn’t take very many ingredients. peppers, garlic, salt, vinegar. Maybe smoke a batch of the peppers and add them in with fresh ones, or try dried of various maturities. They all contribute different flavors. Possibly try one of the other polar solvents used in cooking in place of the vinegar, or use an oil.

I’m Not giving up any of my recipes here, but it’s a fun area of cooking to play with and properly canned / bottled hot sauces will last a long time.

I also realize the UK might not have the best climate for growing hot peppers, so you might have to import. I can’t say what kind of results you’d get with a hothouse there, but also maybe an option.

It is possible to grow hot peppers outside in the UK, but if you want million-Scoville ones you might have to grow them in a polytunnel and shout at them.

I agree, though haven’t tried that brand of hotsauce. So far my fav is dave’s gourmet scorpion pepper hot sauce… though the main reason is that it does not have the extract taste and it does not have heavy vinegar. Pretty much any sauce like that is good for me. I like to go from little spikes of hot, to ‘i just ate a bunch of nails and stuck my hand in that box of deathly pain in dune’ hot.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.