Uh-oh, a Sriracha shortage is on the horizon

Originally published at: Uh-oh, a Sriracha shortage is on the horizon | Boing Boing

4 Likes

We are still endeavoring to resolve this issue that has been caused by several spiraling events, including unexpected crop failure from the spring chili harvest.

Expect a lot more of these “unexpected” failures in coming years.

21 Likes

These guys used to be the growers for the chilis that went into the Huy Fong stuff until the two companies had a falling out.
https://underwoodranches.com

Their sriracha is not a carbon copy, I don’t think, but it’s good.

I’m not affiliated with Underwood at all, I just eat their sauce.

10 Likes

It’s a bummer but I think we will survive.

4 Likes

It’s a more dire situation for some people than others.

13 Likes

quick - buy up all the sriracha at the stores and then resell it for a huge profit in a few weeks.

Or simply PANIC PANIC PANIC ?

4 Likes

Oh no, how will we ever survive without spicy ketchup? Seriously, unless this is an industry-wide pepper shortage (Googling seems to indicate only sriracha is affected), this is a non-story.

1 Like

Well, Huy Fong’s Sriracha is still good but it does taste a little different now.

1 Like

Sriracha’s ok but this is the stuff I can’t live without, I wonder if it will also be affected:

37d3f90b-3079-408d-bdf0-551bca853072_1.3d35a6b6ee207772d466a91b12d269a6

20 Likes

Yes. A different article said the garlic sauce is also thus affected :frowning:

8 Likes

Hay caramba! Dear God, please bless the makers of Cholula and give them the production capacity and abundance of chili peppers to continue to produce sufficient quantities of small bottled supplies throughout this supply chain disruption menace. Amen.

9 Likes

Oh well, guess I’ll just stick to my Kaitaia Fire sauce then, don’t see the gimmick of Sriracha.
I know my hot sauce is local, just from the other end of the island.

5 Likes

This is going to be a problem in about eighteen months when this bottle runs out.

12 Likes

The Tabasco brand of this kind of sauce is QUITE good. I like it better than Huy Fong’s…

4 Likes

We go through a fair bit of sriracha, but we’re not brand loyal or anything, so maybe this won’t matter to our habits.
But, I’ve been making this stuff since I saw it here years ago

And a couple years ago I couldn’t find the chili flakes when it was time to make a new batch. I mean, I could find them online, but it was odd not to have them on the grocery shelves. That whole section was empty for at least a month. I hope that doesn’t happen again.

10 Likes

,It’s not the same kind of sauce. Tobasco is chili and vinegar, schiracha has sugar and garlic. They also use different kinds of peppers.

4 Likes

Tabasco markets a sriracha type sauce under their own brand. it is quite good.
i am just happy to grow my own peppers and they are abundant. i make lots of hot sauce that i share with friends. they seem genuinely pleased with my effort.

11 Likes

Usually I use Flying Goose Sriracha anyway, Crying Thaiger is also pretty good.

7 Likes

Hello, friend…? :wink:

15 Likes

We keep both in the fridge, that’s for sure.
Just got a new bottle of each recently, so I’m not too concerned.
Yet.

3 Likes