Uh-oh, a Sriracha shortage is on the horizon

I eat a lot of hot sauce and this is, by far my favorite of all time. I haven’t been able to reliably get it here in NY for over a year. They even stopped offering the large bottle entirely.

5 Likes

I tried to find Mountain brand sriracha at MT Supermarket in north Austin this week and all they had was very very picked over Rooster brand bottles, some dented (well, hey, plastic). No other brands on the shelf, which I thought was odd.

:eyes:

Yeah, I can probably make some of my own, as soon as my chile petin plants here stop freaking out from the heat. That’s… October, if I am lucky. Unfortunately, historic first frost in central Texas is usually mid-November: 30 days. That’s not a lot of time produce peppers. I guess I better locate some red jalapeño seeds to start them for fall planting. Summer here is our winter.

True–there’s no sodium metabisulfite in the Underwood brand. Good!

3 Likes

:scream:

(not my fridge, but it were I’d probably lick the shelf clean)

10 Likes

that is tragic!
just enough for a bowl of rice with some steamed tatsoi greens, maybe a boiled egg in there. just hate to see it go to waste!

5 Likes

(drooling)
… and maybe a handful of raw peanuts, and some chopped fresh cilantro. A squeeze of lime. If I couldn’t find any greens to steam, I’d just shred whatever raw greens or lettuce I had on hand and throw those in.

Yeah, I’d use a rubber spatula to squeegee that into the bowl.

7 Likes

As the other reply says, Tabasco makes a sriracha sauce of their own - different from their std Louisiana style hot sauce. It’s made from red jalapeños, sugar, salt, garlic, and vinegar.

3 Likes

Mom always liked spicy stuff but wasn’t fond of Sriracha for some reason. My BF & I love it. She also didn’t like the Sriracha ketchup I found on sale for $1 at our grocery a couple years ago. I hate ketchup and I liked it a lot.

Our bottle of Sriracha’s plenty full enough to make it thru this emergency.

Oh, and Scotch Bonnet’s my pepper of choice. Got hip in Jamaica, mon. Hot AF in some forms, but still tasty AF.

Yes, Rasta!

8 Likes

By large bottle I assume you mean

I got this size once. It was glorious. It did not go bad, nor spill!

Someone’s coming to visit from the west coast and asked if she could bring anything so I requested a jar of this stuff

Which we can’t get locally and I’ve never tried and am very excited about!

8 Likes

:flushed:

No, I’ve never seen that. I meant the ca. 16 oz instead of the 8 oz. Dear lord, I’d kill for that.

3 Likes

DM me. I believe my restaurant supply place carries it.

2 Likes

Spouse reported same at local grocery.

You grow red jalapenos around Austin in the fall? Please tell me all about it!

5 Likes

I got it at a quirky Asian grocery store in NH. Quirky in the way that they were big, and a standard grocery store for the local Asian population, and me, obviously, but also had random loose, unwrapped frozen fish tossed into the upright freezer cases and “samurai” swords and stuff for sale at the front.

3 Likes

There was one sauce Huy Fong used to make was Sambal Badjak I loved. They still make Sambal Oleak but it’s not the same. It’s been years if not decades since they made it.

1 Like

All red jalapeño peppers are simply green ones that actually completed their ripening process. (Same goes for red bell peppers.)

1. Figure out what USDA zone your garden is in:

https://www.fs.fed.us/wildflowers/Native_Plant_Materials/Native_Gardening/hardinesszones.shtml

1. Figure out your “first frost” date. YMMV because: climate change. From that point in time you can work backwards to calculate your “days to harvest (or to maturity)” window.

2. Depending on how soon your first frost is, pick how many days to maturity your jalapeños need to have, keeping in mind that cold weather will slow down the ripening process. Some jalapeños bear faster than others:

1. You can plant pepper starts in July in Central Texas:

1. It’d be good to keep some polyspun rowcover or shadecloth (at least 50% blockage in CenTex) handy to protect plants (and their fruits) from sunscald.

2. Best luck I have had growing Solanaceae spp veg is in a wicking bed or wicking bucket with shadecloth in CenTex. No other system is as reliable and robust.

1. Solanaceae are very heavy feeders. Good quality soil is everything. Soil mixes abound. NB: Peppers are sensitive to fertilizer–timing is a big deal. Howard Garrett knows dirt. He’s kinda famous in Texas for giving solid advice for those of us who follow organic practices. He is very seldom wrong:

Good luck!

:four_leaf_clover:

12 Likes

There’s a big, weird Asian supermarket in a northeastern Detroit suburb. It’s a massive place, and you could spend hours in there, exploring what are often completely unfamiliar (to us) food, drink, and other items.

Its arrangement is weird: items are grouped in ways that defy logic :smiley: Every aisle is a big surprise.

4 Likes

This is beyond believable. We all love sriracha and manufacturers are simply milking the situation with hyper inflation. Rabbi Deloso

I put this on just about everything, including pizza, and I only just learned this year that this is commonly called “cock sauce”.

Oh well, I guess the obligatory “Thanks Obama!” must be said.

One of my favorite cheap and quick meals is to take rice, stir in sauerkraut (of any kind, including the various spicy types that you can buy in the store - or make) nuke it in a microwave for about a minute and a half, and squirt on a generous amount of sriracha hot sauce - or get a big scoop of that garlic paste pictured above - then stir again, and dive in. It’s very simple, but I find it divine.

If the rice is already made and ready in the fridge, it’s even faster…

How would you prepare the egg in your case? Fry it with the rice? I had to look up tatsoi greens, are there good substitutes?

1 Like

Which is a bit hypocritical given that they were historically (at least) famously sue-happy against other companies making Tabasco (which refers to both a part of Mexico and to peppers originally from there and ought to be a generic term) sauce. There’s a great book about the shenanigans of the company – McIlhenny’s Gold by Jeffrey Rothfeder.

2 Likes

For anyone that loves Sriracha and hasn’t had the pleasure of buying other east Asian hot sauces, may I recommend you try Indonesian sambal asli? ABC is one of the largest brands and by extension the easiest to find. But I really like the Jempol brand. Cheap, plentiful, and good on all the same things I put Sriracha on. It has garlic and sugar which give it a better rounded flavor if you’re not just looking for heat.

2 Likes