Star jelly: a mysterious substance that has confounded the best minds for centuries

It’s not just oysters. The world is full of speciality foodstuffs with elaborate methods of preparation along the lines of “it tastes absolutely divine – but first you need to pick out all the minute black bits, then you bury it three feet deep on the lee side of an oak tree no less than two feet in diameter for six weeks, and then you have to heat it to boiling point and let it cool down again three times so it won’t kill you when you eat it”.

One wonders who figured all of that out and how many casualties it took.

15 Likes

color-out-of-space-alpacas

5 Likes

“He was a brave man who was the second one to eat a cassava root.”
– Jonathan Swift (probably)

We must acknowledge the courage and ingenuity of the folk (probably women) who 10,000 years ago developed the methods of detoxifying cassava, a staple crop for half a billion people in the developing world, and without which the developed world would have no source of bubble tea.

10 Likes

The Monolith sneezed.

2 Likes

That’s an interesting thought, but I’m pretty sure that silica gel has never been found in nature on the surface of the Earth.

Natural silicate weathering uses carbon dioxide and water to produce very low concentrations of orthosilicic acid (H4SiO4) in river water (less than 100ppm). In the lab it is possible to carefully concentrate the acid to a point where it forms polymerised acids and then to hydrated silica gel; but I honestly can’t think of a way of getting that to happen in nature as the acids really much prefer reverting straight to silica and water.

The silica gel we buy is usually manufactured by acidifying sodium silicate (itself made by reacting silica with sodium hydroxide) to produce a precipitate.

The Icelander who took the risk that a buried poisonous shark might just be edible was clearly very, very hungry.

Though ‘edible’ might be stretching it a bit too far.

1 Like

Angel poop.

Some of them do tend to roam around without any underwear.

4 Likes

Scandinavians and their fish dishes … they may be stretching the concept of “edible” in novel and otherwise unseen directions – but it probaby takes Viking genes to find them appealing.

3 Likes

surströmming and lutefisk agree.

3 Likes

I don’t even know a Norwegian who likes it.
“I :heart: Lutefisk” is funny because it is absolutely untrue.

If it has onions, the onions are ok. If it is nouveau and has potatoes, wow, the potatoes are ok. If aquavit is served, ja, now it’s time to roast the Swedes.

6 Likes

Do roasted swedes pair well with Aquavit then? What are you seasoning them with?

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.