Star Trek star Nichelle Nichols dead at 89

I’m just going to sit quietly over here sobbing. She was wonderful, and the world has lost an amazing person.

18 Likes

I am really sad. I guess the only ones of the OG crew alive now are Shatner and Takei, right?

6 Likes

Mirror, Mirror, Charlie X, Plato’s Step-Children, The Trouble with Tribbles are basically all the episodes that have Uhura in a featured situation.

7 Likes

did she not initialise the fancy free ear piece though

1 Like

It was so cool to see a woman on the bridge of a space ship when I was in grade school I begged my parents to let me watch every week. Only one tv (in the living room, of course), and not in color either (hey, with 5 kids my parents had other priorities in the '60s!) but oh, how I loved this show! I grew up wishing I could see what Star Trek embodied in the world around me, and I tried to do my bit. Uhura and Scotty were my favorites, but I loved them all.

Rest in peace, Nichelle - you were a grace our world needed badly, and will miss sadly.

19 Likes

Boldly going, indeed.

9 Likes

I’ve harbored a secret crush on Ms. Nichols ever since I first watched TOS in 1968, when I was only 11. At the time, my entire community of 2,400 people was 99.99% white, and frankly she seemed just like everyone else I knew, except that she was a lot nicer. And prettier, a lot prettier. Did I mention I had a crush? The world is a little sadder without her today.

9 Likes

They’ve definitely done more with the character on Strange New Worlds.

2 Likes

And Walter Koenig

(Unless you are going to be a super stickler and require season one of ST:TOS.)

11 Likes
14 Likes

The scene I always think of (and I’m embarrassed I don’t remember the episode, but someone will probably know it off the top of their heads) was one in which there was some calamity, panels blown all over the place, and Kirk was off the ship for some reason. Uhura was down underneath the com panels space-welding or whatever to get it back up and running. Spock joins her briefly and says something to the effect of, “Getting it done?” and she’s all, “Yeah, I’m on it.” No damsel in distress or waiting on somebody else. She was just in there fixing her part of the ship.

19 Likes

From “Who Mourns for Adonais” (Season 2), IIRC.

14 Likes

Uhura: “I’m connecting the bypass circuit now, sir. It should take another half hour.”

Spock: “Speed is essential, lieutenant.”

Uhura: “Mr Spock, I haven’t done anything like this in years. If it isn’t done just right, I could blow the entire communications system. It’s very delicate work, sir.”

Spock: “I can think of no one better equipped to handle it, Ms Uhura. Please proceed.”

for those viewing challenged

I remember this episode, and that Uhura had impressed Spock with her expertise.

17 Likes

Star Trek’s Nichelle Nichols closes hailing frequencies

9 Likes

A great generational indicator, The Kiss. For my uncle, a huge Trekkie who was in his 20s watching when it aired, it was groundbreaking. For me, an almost-teen watching it in reruns 10 years later, it was “meh, Kirk kisses another woman.”

7 Likes
13 Likes
19 Likes

Boing Boing community - thank you all for the great reflections and insights on Nichelle Nichols’ life. It really has helped bring closure to the life of one of the greatest of our America. My greatest take from this is that her work is compounded outwards into our universe of positive souls working to bend the arc of humanity to a place of justice and peace.

May you all live long and prosper…

13 Likes

Rest in Power, Queen.

20 Likes
11 Likes