Watch: Lieutenant Uhura's NASA recruitment film from 1977

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/04/29/watch-lieutenant-uhuras-nas.html

7 Likes

10 Likes

It is the Enterprize!

7 Likes

Isn’t William Shatner known to be a little… difficult about sharing the limelight?

6 Likes

certainly not the sts-51-l challenger shuttle

1 Like

I’ll admit I basically love the whole cast of the original series, but Nichelle Nichols is just fantastic. Whoopi Goldberg had a story about seeing Star Trek and running to the other room to tell her mom there was a black woman on TV who wasn’t a servant. I think it’s hard for those of us who grew up with Star Trek being cliche to imagine the role that Nichols and the cast and crew of Star Trek played in opening people’s imaginations an era where representation nearly zero.

16 Likes

giphy2

14 Likes

UCKL3Fq
It’s a nod-off!

12 Likes

[SWOON!]

Seriously, swoon.

7 Likes

14 Likes

That picture… oof, both cool for who is in it, and lame because - WTF were they thinking with 70s fashion?

1 Like

You should absolutely read her memoir “Beyond Uhura.” She was going to leave the show (she tells why), but met a [slight understatement] famous man who convinced her not to. It had everything to do with inspiring young girls like Whoopi.

12 Likes

Nichelle Nichols is sifi royalty and a true class act.

14 Likes

I will never look as fly as Nimoy did when he sang The Ballad of Bilbo Baggins to a bunch of groupies dressed like peppermints.

ballad

10 Likes

See I think a lot of 60s fashions hold up. That looks pretty good.

2 Likes

I can never get over DeForest Kelley’s leisure suits. Every time I see a picture of him in his casual clothes it looks like he’s about to run out to the disco.

7 Likes

The denim styles were decent. Today I think it looks good on women. But if you made that style in that polyester of the 70s and some of those print patterns? No thanks.

Though I will give this ad props.

Heck, even in uniform he looks like one of those doctors who gives out free prescriptions at parties.

6 Likes

Out here in SoCal, I’ve seen a few young women wearing bb’s, but sometimes with tee shirts and with their hair long and ramrod straight. They seemed to be going for the flower-child look.

2 Likes