Star Wars Ep. IX: The Rise of Skywalker trailer

So, no Bob Newhart cameo?

1 Like

That didn’t go well for Indira Gandhi.

Can’t wait for all the impotent edgelord rage over how something isn’t how they imagined it when they were 8 years old. Meanwhile, I’ll be enjoying the epic fantasy movie with normal people.

4 Likes

I mean it’s not like the Old Republic was doing a bang-up job running the place. The Jedi (an unelected council of elites who literally lived in a giant tower) had been “keeping the peace for a thousand generations” and yet the Republic never got around to eliminating chattel slavery?

9 Likes

To be fair to the Republic and the Jedi, at that point Tatooine is under Hutt control and not part of the Republic proper; that’s why Watto won’t take Qui-Gon Jinn’s Republic credits.

5 Likes

I doubt that its the end of the series. That would mean no more Disney©®™ $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$train.

Another option: the title simply refers to the return of Luke as a Force-ghost.

1 Like

It’s definitely the end of the 9-volume Skywalker series, but far from the end of Star Wars.

They have two, possibly three new live-action series coming to their streaming service (and blu-ray and everything else) – one called The Mandalorian and one about Cassian Andor.

The guys behind Game of Thrones are working on a new stand-alone trilogy, which is hotly rumored to be set in Old Republic days.

And Rian Johnson has announced that he’s also working on a new stand-alone trilogy set in a completely new area and time period of the SW universe.

There’ll be no shortage of Star Wars for a long time (and I am okay with this).

4 Likes

Ya I don’t understand why the star wars fanboys are always getting their panties in a bunch every time they come out with something that expands the Star Wars universe like a series or movie. I’m good with more Star Wars, they definitely are better than all those Marvel movies.

1 Like

It does sounds like it’s the end of the “new movie every year” pace. Which is probably a good thing to not have such a strict pace pushing content delivery instead of when content is ready.

2 Likes

Hey, fam, maybe we’re all Skywalkers. Ya dig?

1 Like

You got a problem with Lumpy, pal? :rage:

8 Likes

I don’t think there’s much of a reassessment going on. In large part actual humans seem to still have their preferences and non-screamy takes on the films. And if people en masse had decides they preferred safe and samey in the wake of TLJ than Solo would have been more successful (shame it wasn’t it’s a pretty good flick and the most even, well pulled off one so far).

I was more talking about the vitriol and entitled fan bullshit. There’s a clear pattern with how that goes, and it’s not exclusive to Star Wars.

The whole thing starts from the position that what Disney is doing is bad and wrong. And deliberately designed to take something away from fans. So each movie has to be bad. And for “some of my best friends are black” reasons they like to point at something that supposedly satisfies them to prove they aren’t operating in bad faith.

TFA was bad because it was too similar to ANH, and JJ Abrams was disrespecting fans. Rouge one got to be the good one because it was different, adopted after the fact as evidence of the attacks on TFA. TLJ came out and it was bad and wrong because it was too different and Johnson was disrespecting fans.

Solo, safe and loaded with fan service, failed. So it’s failure “proved” everyone really did hate TLJ. The argument post Solo was that Johnson had so thoroughly destroyed Star Wars that they’d never make another after IX and might not even release that one. Johnson was clearly fired and his career ruined. Just look at how hard Solo failed!

If it had been a success they would point it as proof that routine blockbuster storytelling and fan service is the “real” Star Wars.

They do the same thing with Marvel. But the MCU being pretty much what it always has been. And lacking the cultural weight of generations growing up with it. Instead gets comparisons to outside works.

For a long time it was DC and Zack Snyder’s murderverse. But WB cut Snyder loose and their only unequivocal successes are the movies least associated with his schtick (and staring a Jewish woman and a mixed race guy).

So with Captain Marvel we saw continued reference to Alita Battle Angel (because Anime), along with constant use of the phrase “strong female characters” and references to Ripley and Sarah Conner.

This new one has to be bad. Because the film itself almost doesn’t matter for their arguement, and they very much aren’t arguing about the movies.

I very much hope not. There’s the title, Palpatine, and a shot of what looks like Ren fixing his helmet to point in that direction.

I hope that’s just Abrams driving trollies the rage critters while doing his usual marketing schtick. And he has deliberately done that with Star Wars before.

But whatever you think of TLJ, retconning all it’s big stuff would just be the blandest possible way to follow it up. Pretty chickenshit and petty too.

2 Likes

You are correct. Luke Skywalker spent a weekend at Canto Bight about ten years ago, and well…

11 Likes

Hopefully, no badguys learn about his secret Rebel ring.

2 Likes

STAR WARS EPISODE X: THE RISE OF BROOM BOY

4 Likes

Ok… I’m in… I mean I was always in, but now I am looking forward to it.

3 Likes

I’m ambivalent about the sequel trilogy. For one, I don’t like how JJ Abrams just started near what I felt was like the end of a longer story (the rise of the First Order and the decline of the New Republic). Sure, the actors were/are much older now so filling out that arc would’ve been a royal pain but I think by having the late Carrie Fisher arguing with politicians about the threat of the First Order and having her have some other scenes where she tries to call in favors from ex-Alliance buddies would’ve been enough (15 minutes tops) to fill in that gap. Then the rest of the film would’ve hung together better as we see everything from the lens of a failed stated (New Republic) and its results such as Rey being used as slave labor in scavenging on Jakku. Plus, I think they needed to give more screen time to Daisy Ridley to fill in the gaps of her latent Force usage. Like just a random burst of Force Push when some raiders try to jump her claim or whatever like something that says, “she’s not what she seems and she doesn’t understand it either.” Also, they really needed to explain Snoke’s relationship with the First Order to make it sensible. Hell, he could’ve been just another Core world noble that had too much time on his hands but giving him some reason for working with the First Order rather than hiring his own goons to deal with Rey and Luke seems like the first thing that had to be resolved. Or better yet, I would’ve made him gone entirely and let Kylo Ren just be corrupted slowly by some Sith holocron he found in Vader’s palace on Mustafar which is where things goes sideways and gives a reason to fight him rather than having him be a stand in for toxic fanboys.

I don’t know what to think about the Last Jedi, it feels like it exists in another world and that’s okay to the extent that it’s enjoyable. I just don’t see any future for Star Wars as a franchise for the big screen anymore since Disney and JJ started this on the wrong foot no matter what anyone thinks of TLJ.

3 Likes

And through the miracle of JJ Abrams science, they’ll be made from real stars.

2 Likes

They just love working on franchises where a dashing blonde knight who has the hots for his twin sister gets his hand cut off.

13 Likes