Star Wars Ep. IX: The Rise of Skywalker trailer

Main character is a girl. This will probably spark some incel rage somewhere.

Fuck those guys. I’m looking forward to enjoying this movie with my kids, just like all the other ones.

6 Likes

Wait, people forgot?

Never forget 5/23/10

2 Likes

When she leaped up on the TIE interceptor and the screen flashed “This Christmas,” I expected to see Santa in the cockpit, ready to fly her off to the North Pole for a heartwarming yuletide adventure: A Star Wars Holiday Special, Part 2

7 Likes

Flying a TIE Interceptor within lightsaber-striking distance of a Jedi has to be the biggest pilot blunder since those guys flew their biplanes within arm’s length of that giant gorilla in 1933.

Those things are equipped with long-range guns for a reason, jackass.

5 Likes
3 Likes

They had better explain where Luke’s, Obi Wan’s, Anakin’s light saber came from in TFA.

Otherwise, I shall be compelled to write a strongly worded letter!

3 Likes

How slow do you reckon that thing was going for her not to die?

25mph? 30?

2 Likes

I’m not generally one to defend Abrams too much, he’s got the shit he’s good at and he spends too much of his time (and is too celebrated for) the stuff he’s not. But that particular debacle, and so many others, can be firmly laid at the feet of Damon Lindelof.

And I never liked that show to begin with.

That’s 100% in line with the OT. At the start the Empire is already a thing, the Republic long dead. The Rebel Alliance is already well established, Leia is already one of its leaders. Han is already a smuggler. The Jedi are already destroyed/forgotten.

For one it carries a large bit of the world building weight. Establishing the feel of a fully realized setting, with a history and what have.

But its also a really common trope in these sorts of movies. Especially the ones we think of as being good, or classic. And it’s so much a part of the whole “hero’s journey” thing (regardless of its actual connection to Star Wars) that multiple variations of the thing in formal definitions involve the words “events larger than themselves”. The entire Lord of The Rings situation is already going long before Frodo makes the scene. Every Indy movie he’s on about his own business before stumbling upon Nazis or cults. My favorite example of the trope, Big Trouble in Little China, is explicitly figured as “what if Billy Jack stumbled into a Hong Kong martial arts epic”. And constantly lampshades the trope by having Jack Burton have no clue what’s going on at any given moment. And in my opinion a big reason Guardians of the Galaxy was celebrated as “feeling” like these other movies is down to how it deploys this set up. They’re all involved in something unrelated, and stumble into larger more complicated events they previously had no stake in.

I’d also say that one of the reasons the prequels fall flat is that they start from characters that are already deeply and directly involved with the circumstance around the plot. And have direct stakes in them, and a broad understanding of what’s going on. You toss that in with an impetus to fully explain and set up the circumstance of the OT, and they don’t just fail in their own right. They diminish what came before.

Abrams was saddled with the task of creating a direct sequel to the OT. But the stars of those films were nearly 40 years older than the last entry. That makes placing the time line too close not work. You’d have to not feature any of those characters if you wanted to directly depict what actually happened immediately after. And I don’t think an “everything was peaceful and great until” hand wave would make for very satisfying writing.

There probably would be a way to make it work, but doing so likely involves starting near a different “end of a larger story”.

Plus that gap leaves an awful lot of space for ancillary stories. Which comics, books, and probably soon TV shows have been busying themselves filling. So that very well might have been part of the assignment from Disney.

5 Likes

Just because someone is an evil practitioner of the dark side doesn’t mean they have to exceed the posted speed limit.

8 Likes

Disney Exec: You know how people loved R2-D2 so we made him smaller and cuter? Let’s do that again!

3 Likes

I laughed, and then I felt bad.

And then I laughed again.

18 Likes

You know, that whole goddamn Starbase Killler thing really just killed my brain. I mean, why would you use the power of the central star in the solar system to assert dominance over that solar system since you are, you know, destroying the goddamn solar part of the solar system in the process? What value would those planets even have as barren, frozen rocks released from their orbits? And also, ANOTHER DEATHSTAR!?! Really!?! I actually liked TFA because it kind of upended the whole stupid system. Good riddance.

Since The Phantom Menace came out I’ve said that all that subsequent Star Wars films have served to do is illustrate just how stupid some the dialogue and story elements of the first film really were.

1 Like

That’s not what they were up to. They we’re sucking up the power of the star to destroy planets in another solar system.

Star Wars takes place across a Galaxy, not within a single solar system.

It’s still pretty dumb though.

1 Like

One thing I do like about this new trailer is the simplicity of the shots they selected, almost like an Old West standoff. I’d prefer a pared-down, personal story to another installment that’s filled to the gills with overcrowded CGI battle sequences.

10 Likes

I’m hoping there is something else going on in that scene. Why is she there entirely alone and without transport of any kind?
Mutual destruction?
A vision sequence like the dagobah tree?

1 Like

Kylo? If Leia’s his momma could he be considered…?

Poking around the internet I’m seeing a lot of people guessing that it may become a title. “The Skywalker” being the head of a smaller, new Jedi sect. More inline with what a lot of people imagined before the prequels gave us the Jedi order as massive government body.

Its a little corny. But it’d make a certain amount of sense, Abrams spent some time establishing Luke as a legendary figure. And multiple non-Jedi religious groups have been introduced. So Luke as Buddha/deity figure would follow.

It’s A LOT corny.

1 Like

7 Likes

Well that one’s easy to explain; what pilot wouldn’t want to get as close a look as possible at Cary Grant?

5 Likes