Star Wars icon Carrie Fisher dead at 60

Emotionally I do not want to agree with you but mentally I do.

I know my grandma dreads phone calls because a significant number of them are about someone dying or dead (or telemarketers) rather than a friend or family just wanting to talk.

I rage against 2016 because I need something to rage on, because it is damn hard to just rage about time’s river moving forward and dragging us all along or under.

8 Likes

I will let my tweets speak for me:

20 Likes

Yeah, I mentioned that a couple celebrity deaths ago. 20 years ago most of the people dying off we hadn’t heard of, or barely knew of, not spent hours with as entertainment. And my first Uncle died this year, so we are coming to that point in my life.

4 Likes

Fuck fuck fuck you 2016!

13 Likes

She was one of the few cameos I always look forward to in anything, and I always found her interviews interesting. She will be missed.

11 Likes

This dog sums it up:

Fuck you guys, I’m taking by bear and going over here.

9 Likes

I just keep thinking about Gary… :’(

21 Likes

maybe you’re thinking of Christopher Guest? - fortunately still alive, as is Boy George

Well, people seem to be blaming the year for all the bad things that are happening, as if, in a couple of days, it’ll be rainbows and lollipops.

On the other hand, I guess lamenting the natural progression of time, or cursing the unfairness of the Grim Reaper, is equally as impotent.

5 Likes

probably would…

For Christ’s sake what’s a Jedi to do?

3 Likes

“Famously known for her supporting role in “Drop Dead Fred”.”

5 Likes

Oh, damn today. Carrie Fisher and now I find out Watership Down author Richard Adams died over the weekend.

17 Likes

So, tell us how you really feel. :wink:

11 Likes

Farewell princess, we’ll miss you.

1 Like

Come and get it, 2016.

15 Likes

No, not seriously. I threw that one in there to lighten the mood. I was wondering how long it would be before someone said anything!

1 Like

Let’s all just agree she’s chilling on an island with Bowie, George Michael, Prince, and all the others who departed in 2016. They were the smart ones, they had the resources to fake their own deaths, and bow out when it was obvious shit was about to go sideways. Let’s pray that they’re on the sidelines now, plotting acts of goodwill aimed at a planet that could use all the goodwill it can get right now.

9 Likes

kevin smith said it beautifully…
The Princess stole my heart at age 7. Anybody who knows me knows #CarrieFisher was my first love. I thrilled to the adventures of #princessleia in the @starwars movies, but from '77 to '84, I was in love with Carrie Fisher herself. My bedroom was filled with Carrie Fisher pictures from any movie she was ever in (including Polaroids I took off the TV when #thebluesbrothers hit cable). I was jealous of Paul Simon when he was dating Carrie Fisher and wouldn’t listen to his music until they split up. I paid to see Carrie Fisher and #chevychase in Under the Rainbow nine times when it was in theaters (mostly because Carrie Fisher was in underwear in one scene). In childhood, I committed myself to Carrie Fisher without ever meeting her the way novice Nuns commit themselves to Christ without meeting Him. Decades later, I got to tell her this when Carrie Fisher and @jaymewes were in a station wagon on the set of #jayandsilentbobstrikeback. She was gracious about hearing it for the zillionth time from the zillionth man or woman who grew up idolizing her, but wickedly added “I’m glad to know I helped you find your light saber.” And with that, she stopped being Carrie Fisher to me and just became Carrie. That’s the Carrie I’ll always remember: the dutiful standard-bearer of childhood dreams with a the wicked sense of humor and a way with words. She didn’t want to get paid for her role in @jayandsilentbob Strike Back; instead, she asked that we buy her these antique beaver chairs. Her reason: “Beaver seems an appropriate currency for this movie.” When she was a guest on Season 1 of our @hulu show #Spoilers, Carrie curled up in the throne like she belonged there. And she did: after all, she was royalty. As a boy, I dreamed of marrying Carrie Fisher. As a young filmmaker, I dreamed of casting Carrie Fisher. As an adult, I dreamed of being as sharp-witted and prepossessed as Carrie Fisher. And now that Carrie Fisher is gone, I’ll dream of my friend Carrie - whose entire magnificent career I was lucky enough to witness, whose honesty made me a better person, and whose spirit - like The Force - will be with us always. Goodnight, Sweet Princess…

34 Likes

I didn’t realize George Kennedy died until I saw his face in that collage. He was great in “Cool Hand Luke”.

Maurice White is another entertainer who will be missed. His music always puts me in a good mood.

5 Likes