Star Wars' Jaxxon the butt-kicking bunny now a black series figure

Originally published at: Star Wars' Jaxxon the butt-kicking bunny now a black series figure | Boing Boing

1 Like
1 Like

Looks like a standard humanoid body model. Typical toymaker shortcut.

Anyway, more space rabbits, please.

1 Like

Trying to figure out whether Jaxxon ripped off Bucky O’Hare or vice-versa seems like it would be quite the exercise in 70s comics media studies.

6 Likes

I was wondering that too; it would be quite a coincidence if two major comic publishers just happened to come up with green-furred anthropomorphic bunny rabbit starship captains at the same time.

2 Likes

I’m going to hug him and squeeze him and call him George…

4 Likes

Throw in Blackjack O’Hare (no relation?) from Marvel too.

1 Like

Reminds me of Jazz Jackrabbit.

The action figure looks more like just some guy with a mascot head than the anthropomorphized comic book version. Maybe for tv/film interpretation?

2 Likes

It probably was one of those “same idea come about independently”.

I think Larry Hama did work for Marvel then, it is possible Chaykin/Thomas borrowed his idea, but I wouldn’t think they would poach a fellow Marvel writers idea - unless it was with permission.

Anyway, I remember these early comics!

2 Likes

I do own a Jaxon fedora, but there is really no resemblance.image (Yes, I’m aware of the spelling difference.)

2 Likes

Space Usagi scoffs at all these other space bunnies!

1 Like

The timing is interesting - I’m by no means knowledgeable about either property but it sounds like Bucky was created in 1977 but shelved until the 80s, whereas Jaxxon was created in 1978. Could very well be a case of simultaneous invention, then maybe Bucky got shelved when Jaxxon was published first.

1 Like

man, i remember when that comic came out with him in it. if we had used the phrase that way at the time, i believe me and my friends would’ve said that Star Wars had jumped the shark at that point. Now, of course, i’d be interested to see them figure out a way to embrace him and bring him into more stuff, because he was actually kinda fun and cool – sort of like Bugs Bunny in space.

2 Likes

I feel like I had this character action figure, randomly sold under the TMNT franchise despite never appearing in it… Or if it was Bucky O’Hare for that matter.

1 Like

Also, I would love to see a Watership Down action figure. Just a normal rabbit - but staring at you, dead in the eye, with blood on it’s muzzle as it kills another rabbit.

2 Likes

“JUST IN TIME FOR EASTER!”

–Hasbro (probably)

1 Like

This is a need!

And all the other misfits from the star-hoppers; I’d love to get a figure of each of them, especially Hedji and Kihotay.

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.