Stars' autograph fees at NY Comic Con

I wouldn´t want to do that either. But you know what? If I was a rich, popular actor, the only reason for me to do it, even though I didn´t want to, would be for publicity or as a favor to my fans. Either way, I´d want people to think of me as a cool, generous person, so it wouldn´t make logical sense to me to charge for it. Or I´d just not do it at all and relax at my pool in Beverly Hills instead.

I mean, what am I supposed to think of Stallone flying in from a shoot in Europe just to sit there and charge 400 Dollars for a fucking autograph? That he´s a really swell guy? It´s pure fucking idolism and it disgusts me.

Maybe I don´t think in an American enough way to understand this. And just to be clear once more: I´m talking about rich, popular actors here, not down on their luck b-listers trying to make a living.

Yup. I know several musicians, one or two of whom are legitimately famous in their own fields (like, worldwide), and they all have day jobs. Shit, I’m better off than a couple of them, and I’m poor

1 Like

Yeah, none of the musicians I’ve known have ever been rich–and I’ve met quite a few. I suspect it has to do in part with how the industry functions, but I’ll let you know for a sure in a couple of years when I’ve finished my dissertation.

But I think the point some of us are making is that many actors, especially the ones who tend to be on the Con circuit are NOT rich, even if they are popular. It’s an inherently insecure profession. There are so few Tom Cruises and as you mention, these aren’t the ones we are talking about anyway. Most actors, I’d hazard a guess, are working actors not a-list celebrities. I think even for A-listers, all those events they attend are not about going to parties, but about work in one way or another.

For the record, I don’t think Stallone is an A-lister at all. He’s a guy who got lucky with a few films, and is now somewhere between an A and a B.

EDITED to add: But I get your point about celebrity culture… but I think that’s a whole other ball of wax to deal with. It certainly is part and parcel of what we are talking about, but it’s an aspect that is somewhat of a warping aspect, I think…

1 Like

He’s parlayed writing and acting in a little boxing movie into directing and producing (and still starring) and gets twenty million dollars every time he stars in a movie. I’m not sure how else you define A Lister…

Ah! I guess I wasn’t aware of that (at least the 20 million a film). Fair enough.

I don’t get the appeal either, but that’s why I just avoid waiting in line for overpriced autographs. It’s hard for me to get really worked up about it.

1 Like

Going to the Celebrity Authentics website is a very jarring experience. Rather inartful (or perhaps too accurate) to see celebrities denoted as “products”:

There’s a level of honesty there I hadn’t quite expected…

1 Like

Welcome to the logical outcome of the endless commodification of human life. And now, we’re all being encouraged to market ourselves as brands. I don’t find it surprising… utterly fucking depressing, but surprising, no.

EDITED to add: Or maybe it’s Obama’s fault, and like Obamacare, this is punishment for slavery.

Honestly, I am/was myself more invested in the discussion itself here than it´s subject, so I can fully appreciate your inability to get worked up about it.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.