State resident names and nicknames

No one is going to point how he pronounces the name of his state? are-Kansas? All the natives I know from there pronounce it are-can-saw. Is this some kind of shebolith?

1 Like

He said ar-can-saw for the name of the state, but he referred to the citizens as ar-kan-sans, which from a quick search online seems to be the preferred pronunciation.

13 Likes

Thank you! Good catch!

2 Likes

He pronounces the name of the people who live in his state are-Kansasans. I bet he calls the state are-can-saw just like verybody else does.

Besides, would you call the residents of the state are-can-sawn-ians?

1 Like

Arkanseers.

2 Likes

Residents of are-can-saw? Maybe it’s just my computer programming brain, but I never saw a need for state level collective nouns.

3 Likes

As an Arkansan currently living in another state, there are basically two schools of thought amongst its citizens on what to call ourselves. The generally used term is “Arkansans” but a lot of people hate the link to Kansas and the jarring change in pronunciation and prefer the term “Arkansawyers.” The split on this is about 50/50 and most feel very passionately about the way it should be pronounced to the point that I’m surprised a state civil war over it hasn’t happened.

9 Likes

I understand they had quite the adventures with the Arkanfinns back in the day.

5 Likes

It’s quite possible he might have grown up outside of Arkansas, where designations like the Arkansas Rivers are actually pronounced ar-KANsas.

Accepted BoingBoing practice is “Arkansopodes”.

Oh, and welcome to BoingBoing.

6 Likes

This disagreement has a history as old as the state itself, but the state’s General Assembly did pass an official resolution on the matter. From the Arkansas Secretary of State’s website:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.