Arizona Congressman calls Black Americans "colored people" on House floor (video)

Originally published at: Arizona Congressman calls Black Americans "colored people" on House floor (video) | Boing Boing

6 Likes
6 Likes

Velcome new comrade; please do share your thoughts on this topic.

7 Likes

from

25 Likes

Wow! Folks really are saying the quiet part out loud these days, aren’t they?

15 Likes

MAWA: Make America White Again. Of course, like MAGA, this is a call for a return to a situation that never ended.

8 Likes

I understand the reasoning of striking the comment from the official record. But there might be a reason to keep it on the record to make sure everyone now and in the future know / remember what a (presumably) racist POS this AZ congressman is.

20 Likes

I was kind of wondering about that, too.
But this is why historians look at multiple sources and corroborate them, so anyone doing a proper job of it would see the media records of this shit head’s comments.

17 Likes

i’d also wonder: wouldn’t the motion to strike itself be recorded?

20 Likes

This whole “We need white nationalist in our military or the Chinese will beat us.” is one hell of a crazy/shitty hill to die on.

14 Likes

I had a friend in college who would use this term without batting an eyelash, but he thought my sense of humor was “country”. :roll_eyes:

He became a right wing Christian Zionist (like the kind that wants someone to blow up the Dome of the Rock) and we haven’t spoken in 20 years. Should have seen that coming.

9 Likes

sotto voce: “Don’t care for Le Tool…”

3 Likes

Lord of War : People of Color :: Warlord : ???

This is why I don’t like the term “People of Color”. It sounds almost like “Colored People” to my ears.

5 Likes

Considering what I have been called throughout my life as a Black woman in America, I’ll take it over many shitty alternatives.

23 Likes

it may almost sound that way – but a speaker trying to say one would be hard pressed to accidentally say the other. the intent and meaning is different.

no one was mishearing crane, and – despite what he said later – he certainly wasn’t misspeaking.

13 Likes

When in doubt, go with what the affected population says. If PoCs tell me that PoC is OK, while the other is offensive, that’s good enough for me. Semantic arguments are pretty stupid for things like this.

19 Likes

I fully realize “colored people” is no longer acceptable but isn’t is strange that “people of color” is acceptable?

1 Like

Ok. Let me rephrase. As a non white minority, I find both “colored people” and “people of color” to be offensive. But having one a notionally unacceptable phrase, and the other being a notionally acceptable phrase can be confusing, especially when “colored people” is a phrase used in some upstanding organization’s names , ex: NAACP.

3 Likes

Did you not read the rest of the comments before replying?

What then, do you prefer to be called?

Because just asking a White supremacist society to simply call a person ‘a human being’ has NOT worked thus far; they tend to insist on making distinctions basely solely on superficial physical attributes.,

17 Likes

Not really, if you

So, if you’re willing, let us know what you find acceptable. Some of us are listening.

14 Likes