State trooper dodges runaway big rig in scary dashcam footage

Originally published at: State trooper dodges runaway big rig in scary dashcam footage | Boing Boing

3 Likes

Sorry about making comparisons, but it’s when things reach this level of crazy on the highways that Los Angeles sends out squad cars to get in front of traffic, block it, and slow it down. :man_shrugging:

Maybe other municipalities should take note.

4 Likes

Most of the time when they’re doing that, it’s because they’re about to close the freeway (due to a large accident or other big event). It’s the worst feeling in the world when you see that ahead of you. I immediately grab an exit if I can because it might be hours before you’ll get to pee again, and forget about being home on time.

6 Likes

Still, it’s effective, and would stop semis from trying to drive the speed limit or greater in hazardous conditions. :man_shrugging:

5 Likes

I forget if it was in Colorado or Vegas, but i recall maybe once or twice seeing cops turn on their lights on the highway to freak the drivers out and force everyone to slow down to the speed limit, and then kept driving without pulling anyone over.

4 Likes

Why do we always feel the need to censor logos and brands and even paintings in peoples’ houses. This is news. Just show us who fu*ked up.

1 Like

Do we know that the driver of the truck is okay? The wording of the message from the Highway Patrol was oddly specific. “Luckily, no law enforcement or first responders lost their lives.” It says nothing about the truck driver.

Did the driver lose control because they were driving unsafely for the conditions, because of a mechanical issue, because they experienced a medical issue, etc.? If they lost control behind the wheel because they had a heart attack, for example, IMO they deserve sympathy rather than scorn. [And maybe praise, for having enough control of the situation to get their truck off the road rather than letting it plow uncontrolled into traffic ahead on the highway.]

2 Likes

Given that a person on the road is an unpredictable circumstance, the out of control trucker did an admirable job missing both the camera car and vehicle on the shoulder at that speed.

4 Likes

We occasionally get the opposite here. I’ve seen state troopers put their lights on to clear the fast lane of the highway of passive aggressive slowpokes during rush hour.

3 Likes

YARN | If you're not cop, you're little people. | Blade Runner | Video clips by quotes | 863271a4 | 紗

I wish that happened here. The amount of times i’ve been stuck behind people going under the speed limit in the fast lane is enough to drive me insane

2 Likes

Reboing

My exact thought. He seemed to keep a bad situation from getting much worse.

1 Like

Police highway patrol and Department of Transport patrol cars do that here in the U.K., I’ve both seen it and been in a controlled flow a couple of times; one involved a bicycle that had come off a car and was right in the middle of the centre lane, the car was further ahead on the hard shoulder, and I watched a patrol officer run out and pick the bike up as I drove past in the outside lane. Another occasion involved a car broken down in the outside overtaking lane.
The M4 between London and Bristol is a particularly hazardous motorway, because it runs directly East-West, so at certain times of day the sun is low and shining straight into drivers eyes, making it difficult to see hazards ahead.

1 Like

:grimacing:

Reminds me of living on the west side of Wichita, Kansas. Sun in your eyes going to work and back. The richer folks lived on the east side, where it wasn’t an issue.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.