Statistical proof that voter ID laws are racially discriminatory

Thanks for saying what I didn’t have the guts to.

7 Likes

I haven’t known Mindysan to be one to hold back

8 Likes

Work! …

1 Like

Glad i held back on quoting that myself :wink:

2 Likes

Thanks for that! :slight_smile:

… and Peggy

2 Likes

Oh?

Don’t be afraid to call a spade a spade when it’s played.

Sincerely,

a Black US citizen with current legal id who isn’t on government assistance and who votes regularly.

Big Grin

9 Likes

That was probably something worth mentioning explicitly in the thread, and I’m glad you mentioned it now.

I’m sensitive to the problems with the poster’s “drive-by” status (which I called out in my post), but I think that even if one disagrees with the argument that he is trying to make, it is a legitimate point of discussion in a thread like this. The responses did a good job of answering the questions it raised, and I think overall increased the quality of this thread.

I hate it when flagging become a surrogate “dislike/down vote” button; but that is a discussion for elsewhere. And I’d certainly not like to see mockery or even dismissiveness (as mentioned by @anon50609448) banned on BB, except to the extent they are overtly directed at an individual or part of a broader pattern of antisocial behavior.

(Just to be clear, I’m completely OK with flagging racism, though calling it out openly is even better.)

Vote by mail is the most democratic. You don’t even need to have an address, you can go to the local city hall and get your ballot. You can drop it in the mail, drop it back at city hall, at a library, etc. etc. etc. No ID required, no residence required, it can be done at any time or day up to the deadline, and voter intimidation is virtually impossible.

4 Likes

Except that the only reason he and others care is that they fear being voted out of power. I think in this case intent matters, and the intent is not to make our society more democratic, it’s the opposite. So, that’s my problem with the argument, cause I’ve rarely seen it make without some sort of racial component. But that’s just what I’ve seen, and YMMV.

tumblr_lxskt49p0z1r2efvco1_500

5 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.