Stephen Hawking has died. The famed physicist was 76

So sad…

RIP Stephen Hawking (1942 - 2018)

19 Likes

If Hawking Radiation can find its way out of a black hole, I expect him to find away out of this.

8 Likes

Through the years, every time I saw Hawking’s picture on Boing Boing or elsewhere in the news, I would fear the worse. In the milliseconds that it takes for my brain to process any random headline about Hawking, I always hoped that it wouldn’t be this; today’s news. I knew that one day it would happen, but I didn’t know that I would actually gasped and that my eyes would actually get teary.

Farewell my friend. I noticed that you picked the early hours of π day for your departure. Well played, Stephen, well played.

15 Likes

Don’t get stuck in that three-dimensional mindset, folks. Look at it from the bright side: yesterday he was still alive.

8 Likes

He was, and still is, one of my inspirations.

3 Likes

(The apple is a nice touch, since at the time, he held Lucasian Chair of Mathematics previously held by Isaac Newton.)

17 Likes

He died on Einstein’s birthday? Oh he was a wiley one.

11 Likes
2 Likes

When I was younger, his books fundamentally changed the way I understood the universe. I regret that I’d never taken the opportunity to thank him for that.

5 Likes

Pay it forwards.

15 Likes

Hawking was a notable atheist, but i think its fair to say that he will live on like other greats from the scientific community. We could be sad that he died, sad that he had to endure being trapped in his own body, but really he’s an example of a fierce spirit, endless curiosity and the human ability to overcome seemingly impossible adversity. He’s an example of what we can achieve and i celebrate his life.

12 Likes

Well that sucks.

It is AMAZING that he lived this long. I think there are only a handful of cases where ALS didn’t end up killing the person afflicted with it. It took my uncle last year :confused:

7 Likes

Entropy… as an epitaph. Fitting.

9 Likes

Sad passing of a brilliant mind.

In addition to his storied career as a physicist, he also enjoyed some success as a gangsta rapper… :wink:

Safe travels, Stephen.

10 Likes

Today happens to be “Pi Day”. Hawking’s passing on a day dedicated to math seems appropriate.

9 Likes

I’m surprised no one has mentioned this yet

10 Likes
4 Likes

Thank you. I wondered what the equation was. Cool.

2 Likes

:slight_smile:

1 Like

Sadly it isn’t Pi Day in Britain (14/3). Approximately Pi Day is on 22/7.

Yes, we should all be using YYYY-MM-DD, but for some reason we don’t.

7 Likes