Steve Bannon tries to sleaze his way into European far-right, they tell him to go home

Certainly what he looks like.

1 Like

Unfortunately CasaPound have had some success at this over the last decade.

1 Like

Somewhere out there is a steamroller with Bannon’s name on it.

1 Like

Initial examination by the coroner determined the time of death to be 2:45 AM on July 28th, 2018, but was corrected when Bannon rolled on his side, coughed up some canal water and asked “What day is it?”

8 Likes

So what will Bannon’s pro-Trump film be called? “Triumph of the Will?”

Nothing an extreme political group hates more than another extreme political group with the same beliefs.
Splitters!

I think it’ll have more to do with the casual xenophobia of the average British voter :frowning:

1 Like

You’re not wrong but the English far right are desperate for approval from the US. It’s kind of sad how that “special relationship” works. But then that’s the same relationship that lackeys have always had.

1 Like

This must have been delivered to boing boing from Europe by steamship, but back when Bannon’s rejection was news in Europe, I was relieved, but not surprised.

This is mostly not about nationalists hating each other (European nationalists get along far too well if you ask me), but about cultural differences.

The average American republican holds some opinions that are more right wing than those of true European nazis, but at the same time will also consider some ideas from Europe’s moderate left wing to be “far right”.

Deporting lots of illegal immigrants and only granting citizenship only sparingly, after a long time and after administering a language test enjoys mainstream support in much of Europe. The idea that someone can only be “truly Austrian” if they grew up in Austria is considered an “obvious fact” by a large majority of the population.

On the other hand, our own far-right “Freedom Party” remains opposed to reintroducing the death penalty, and are keeping mostly quiet about guns. No one in Austrian politics ever even dreamed about introducing something as openly fascist as a “Pledge of Allegiance” at Austrian schools.

Add to that the fundamentally different ways of thinking about race and identity on both sides of the Atlantic. (I was disappointed about not finding a thread debating the Trevor Noah/French National Soccer Team controversy on bbs :wink: )

On the whole, it is obvious that Bannon is not a good fit for European right-wingers; in fact, if they cooperated with him and their followers ever figured out what his actual opinions are, they’d be in trouble.

1 Like
1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.