Steve Bannon's lawyers sue him for $500k in unpaid bills

Originally published at: Steve Bannon's lawyers sue him for $500k in unpaid bills | Boing Boing

10 Likes

If one does not require the lawyer to be “good” then we may suppose there is a virtually infinite supply of lawyers with which to defend against other lawyers’ lawsuits. (if necessary funded via scam, oligarchs or Saudi princes, …oh my)

23 Likes

This group seems to avoid paying legal bills all the time. How the heck aren’t all the lawyers “payment up front”?

23 Likes

That’s probably where the nice round figure of $375,000 came from - a retainer.

19 Likes

As Nelson Muntz would exclaim…

22 Likes

The judge, Juan Merchan, gave Bannon until the end of February to find new lawyers, or risk getting one appointed for him.

How awful! (For that lawyer.)

17 Likes

More like “Haw Haw” in this case.

I have no sympathy for any lawyer who takes these fascist deadbeats and grifters on as clients.

19 Likes

jabbathehutz

12 Likes

“Talk to my lawyers. …oh, wait.”

10 Likes

“What?, you won’t take payment in shirts? I’m wearing at least $500k of them right now!”

17 Likes

Jokes explained, reasonable rates.

26 Likes

Right back at you!

21 Likes

I’ve been wondering for a while now if the day would come when TFG would end up in court represented by a public defender. :thinking: Maybe we’ll see members of his inner circle going that way first.

18 Likes

18 Likes

Every lawyer in the world has had clients they despised. It’s part of the job. Everyone gets representation.

Lawyers don’t defend guilty clients. They defend the Constitution.

4 Likes

Six, err, four cases of Coors is the best I can do.

2 Likes

None of that changes my lack of sympathy for these lawyers. Bannon and Biff and their ilk aren’t indigent clients (they just cry poor) represented pro bono or on the instructions of a judge. These firms had a choice in taking on clients who are notorious for stiffing their counsel and for being dishonest in general. They chose … poorly.

Also, this firm in particular is asking to be released from representing Bannon because he isn’t paying his bills. So much for “defending the Constitution” (which, incidentally, their fascist client would use as toilet paper given the opportunity.)

19 Likes

rick GIF

“Best”

7 Likes

It’s not about being indigent. The shittiest client I ever had was also the richest. I hated every second I had to be in a room with him, and I hated his bullshit greed-based lawsuit. But he got the same zealous advocacy that any client got. That’s the oath you take.

Also, this firm in particular is asking to be released from representing Bannon because he isn’t paying his bills.

Are they supposed to keep representing him while they’re suing him? That might be a teensy conflict of interest. :rofl:

Look, it’s obvious to everyone in the world that Bannon is an evil, lawless piece of shit. But you seem to be saying if an attorney represents him, the attorney must be evil too. And I’m telling you, as someone with many years of firsthand experience, that is not how the profession works.

10 Likes

Did he pay you? If so it’s a different situation.

Are they supposed to keep representing him while he’s not paying his bills? From my experience with lawyers, that would be a big “no” on how the profession works.

Then you’re not reading as carefully as I’d expect of a lawyer. I’m saying that if an attorney represents a known deadbeat and liar, I have no sympathy for them when they end up in a position like this.

11 Likes