Trump having trouble finding quality lawyers to represent him

Originally published at: Trump having trouble finding quality lawyers to represent him | Boing Boing

9 Likes

Quality lawyers get paid upfront.

27 Likes

Trump, “Just think of the exposure; the best exposure; worth millions; millions.”

31 Likes

A good lawyer will tell their client what the client needs to know, not what the client wants to hear. Thus Trump and quality lawyers naturally repel one another.

52 Likes

So weird, there’s like 160 republican congress members who are lawyers, not one of them knows anyone? Or is willing to step down and help their King?

19 Likes

36 Likes

“Cracque” legal team…

:8ball: :8ball:

14 Likes

33 Likes

It’s all part of Donnie’s long term strategy to argue that his defense was inadequate when he appeals from prison.

23 Likes

Could it be possible that Donnie’s finances are reviewed and he is found to have a significant negative net worth, and assigned a public defender because he cannot afford a lawyer of his own?

7 Likes

This is what happens when it is well known that you are a cheating bastard who doesn’t pay your bills, Donnie; this is what happens…

29 Likes

One of his problems (among many) is he gets fixated on totally ridiculous legal theories.

I have not seen anyone point this out, but he was getting stuck on absolutely absurd legal theories, and then insisting on filing lawsuits based on them, BEFORE 2016. That’s right. Remember his whole “birther” legal movement, including joke (not funny joke) filing lawsuits? Serious lawyers won’t get involved with people who have this type of history. You can’t take an absurd legal idea and then make it fly by hiring a top law firm.

12 Likes

You can get close by hiring, er, appointing, your own judges. See: U.S. District Judge Aileen Cannon

13 Likes

Why hasn’t TFG been indicted yet? People sue him all the time, but why has not one of the myriad crimes we’ve been told will surely be the nail in his coffin been taken into court? I’d been expecting to see him frog-marched into the back of a wagon any day now since at least the summer of 2021.

Blackmail? Bribery? Extortion? What would a mob boss do to escape prosecution? Or are his crimes just the fevered imaginings of lefty journalists in the MSM like he’s been claiming all along?

I really don’t want to see this colossal grifter on my ballot ever again. In my nightmares he’s going to run out the clock until he’s president again, then if he doesn’t die in office, he’ll retire to a resort on the Black Sea. Anyone have an explanation here?

8 Likes

One of the recurring themes in court opinions against Trump’s legal actions has been words to the effect of “This is a [disconnected rant | personal grievance | attempted coup] in search of a legal theory.”

11 Likes

Even people who slept last night at a Holiday Inn Express won’t represent him.

10 Likes

I’ve cynically said for decades that we’re not a nation of laws, but a nation of lawyers. Given this headline, I sure hope it’s true in Trump’s case.

1 Like

FWIW, IAAL. Yes, the finances are the big problem – Trump lives to screw people out of what they’ve earned – and Trump is unlikely to write a check for a retainer which will be at least a couple of million bucks.

But even if you really wanted the challenge of a big case like this, your partners are never going to tolerate it - it’s a drag on everyone. When your client is not paying their bills, your partners notice – and they are not quiet about it. So you aren’t just not getting paid, you are going to quickly destroy your relationship with your partners. Everyone has a bit of loss, and that’s part of it, but taking on a client that everyone knows isn’t going to pay their bills means no partner in Big Law (or Boutique Firm made by Big Law refugees) is going to go out a limb for this guy.

15 Likes

I just can’t imagine Trump ever listening to anyone for five minutes, let alone the detailed breakdown of a case, without him interrupting to explain why he understands it better.

11 Likes

We all hear what we want to hear.

When he says that, the star-struck lawyers interpret that as “this exposure will raise my profile and I’ll make millions.”

The reality: the exposure will be financial, because they’ll never be paid for thousands of billable hours.

9 Likes