Steve Martin makes abstract art theory interesting

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/12/13/steve-martin-makes-abstract-ar.html

6 Likes

Steve Martin is one of the most powerful art collectors in the world. While he’s not even close to being as articulate as I would hope he would be, it was still interesting to watch/listen to him LOOK at the painting.

5 Likes

He’s on my list of 10 people I’d most want to have a beer with. I think he’d be cool.

2 Likes

I was hoping for a little bit longer of a discussion but I can kinda see why they wanted to keep it light and fluffy. What is our current era of art? Post-post Modernism?

Yes. This man is a national treasure.

2 Likes

Everything is cyclical. We’re currently back in pre-post-Neolithic.

2 Likes

His book “Born Standing Up” was one of the best autobiographies I have read. Look for it at your local library.

4 Likes

personally, i think abstract art theory was already interesting, and adding steve martin just makes it moreso – if it wasn’t interesting for you without him, well, i don’t know what to tell you. at least you’re getting interested in art!

3 Likes

Steve Martin really knows how to interpret modern art. Been doing it for a long time

8 Likes

I’m not saying that it is not like this …

8 Likes

Came here to see that clip. :grinning:

2 Likes

Yawn. His insights are banal. And the experts giggle and encourage him. It’s not art, it’s a landscape, and the other one is volumes. Sorry, but just go stand next to an idiot in an art gallery, you’ll get the same level of insight.

From the Batman TV show. The Joker enters an art contest where world famous artists must create a masterpiece in something like two minutes. One arrainges paint balloons on his canvas and shoots them with a rifle. One dresses up as an organ grinder and has his monkey throw paint at his canvas. Another tosses paint into a trough, gets in and then proceeds to roll around on his canvas. The Joker just frames his hands in various positions and never touches his canvas with anything. The judges look at the first three and make various profound pronouncements about each. Then they come to the Joker’s blank canvas.

JUDGES: (outraged) Joker! What is the meaning of this!!!

JOKER: I call it, “Death of a Bat”!!

JUDGES: But there’s nothing there!!

JOKER: Don’t you see?? The bat … is DEAD!!!

The Joker wins the art contest.

5 Likes

“Art” is always ‘in the eye of the beholder,’ and opinions are like a certain bodily orifice in their commonality and ‘value.’

10 Likes

I’m not sure which clown first decided to adopt the term “Modern” to describe a specific 20th Century art and design aesthetic but they pretty much screwed up the nomenclature for at least three generations.

6 Likes

Further messed up by “Post Modern.”
What are we supposed to use now!?

4 Likes

I’ve never read an online comment that began with “Yawn” that turned out to be filled with brilliant and compelling insights.

8 Likes

Neo-Modern?

https://hackernoon.com/hn-images/1*GoSUuCba7TvJbIxtjMdtxA.jpeg

2 Likes

Even that’s almost vintage now.
Neo Contemporary sounds almost pretentious enough. If we can get some investors interested perhaps it will be described as Hedgey…

4 Likes
1 Like