Stonehenge core sample shows monument was largely quarried only 15 miles from site

Has no one made a “Stonehenge was a sex thing” GIF of the li’l all-knowing elephant from The Good Place yet?? Or has my Google-fu just become weak?

2 Likes

There’s a National Geographic special on Stonehenge that is mostly serious but has Christopher Guest come in as character as Nigel Tufnel to give some remarks. He says something like “Many people think Stonehenge was built by aliens. That’s utter bollocks! The pyramids, yes of course, but not Stonehenge!”

14 Likes

The saucer recipe is flaky but the author, a construction contractor, showed long ago (ca.1982) straightforward methods of building Stonehenge, pyramids, et al. Fun book.

3 Likes

Their 142-mile journey probably involved a leg by boat, a logistical feat that would have been much more challenging for the larger cuts.

The way the Ancient Egyptians floated all those MASSive obelisks up the Nile on gigantic barges is also V interesting.

2 Likes

Well, the first builders apparently missed the critical intersection of those ley lines by over a hundred miles, causing the whole ‘gotta drag these stones cross country’ debacle.

Or they recycled monuments. Occam’s razor gives a close shave…

2 Likes

This is a fun book. Some parts of it are more plausible than others, but fun speculation

1 Like

Not to mention that we’re also much lazier these days. For example I’m just gonna copy and paste this link rather that go through the effort to retype a point that I made 4 years ago.

6 Likes

That would be the coolest rollingpin.

2 Likes

For deeper dive check out:
Robert Schoch:robertschoch.com and robertschoch.org.
Carmen Boulter (has utube video and lots more)
James Swaggert (expert in acoustic archeology)
Stonehenge is many things and or was: not least of which was accoustic… It all comes back to sound in the end.
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=acoustic+archeology&t=ffnt&ia=web

2 Likes

Great, so I just spent my whole morning watching Nigel Tufnel explain Stonehenge.

2 Likes
11 Likes

Is Occam’s Razor kept sharp in a pyramid?

3 Likes

No room - they were full of grain /s

1 Like

What did I just listen to?

5 Likes

Ok so lazy bloodmages then…

Norway’s equivalent of The Lonely Island

2 Likes

reminds me of this little chestnut

5 Likes

Every single time the common belief was that our ancestors couldn’t possibly have been capable of something, it is proven that they were and they did the thing.

The fundamental point is that we have the exact same brains as they did. The only difference is that we’re standing on taller shoulders of technology than they were.

4 Likes

I think that’s untrue also. We see all the heroic stuff our ancestors did because that’s survivorship bias. There are no monuments to sitting around eating goat jerky and getting drunk. It doesn’t mean they didn’t spend as much time doing that as we do.

Our work ethic is expressed in different ways, today. Less physical and more intellectual, perhaps. But spending all day editing a YouTube video or coding your new website is hard work, make no mistake. A lazy person will not do those things.

Me, on the other hand… where did I leave that goat jerky…

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.