Stop telling women to smile

Me too!

2 Likes

Can we extend that to everyone? I personally hate being told to smile by strangers.

3 Likes

Is it still permissible to smile at a woman, or do I have to look to the ground not to commit a microagression?

1 Like

Yes you can. Dont demand one back. Keep it appropriate. And remember anyone you see might be having a day on the spectrum of terrible to great.

When in doubt, Ministry of Funny Walks.

5 Likes

i saw these in Ontario recently, just across the border from Buffalo.

11 Likes

18 Likes

He stole my look!

1 Like

See, the thing is, if you see a stranger in public and an involuntary smile takes over you, thatā€™s one thing. If you then go on to expect a certain response because you smiled, then you are acting like a creep. Women will sense this, people in general will sense this and be creeped out. These people tend to think of themselves as nice guys, they feel they deserve something for being nice.

Which of course is different from people who feel its appropriate to yell at strangers on the street, but creepy nonetheless.

7 Likes

I need a little help here.

Iā€™m your basic privileged middle aged white guy. As someone who grew up in a small town[1] I smile at everyone when I pass them on a sidewalk. and I do mean everyone [2] .

And yes, Iā€™ve always noticed that young women are the most likely to smile back. The social pressure on young woman to conform to this social norm enormous.

Hereā€™s my question: In response to this campaign, should I treat young women different? Should I make a point of smiling less to young women? I have been wrestling with this for about year now, as I walk past a high school on my way to work every morning.

To be clear, I never verbalize ā€œyou should smile.ā€ [3] This is about my smiling first.

[1] If this doesnā€™t make sense to you, I can explainā€¦
[2] My one day in Manhattan in 1986 wasā€¦ interesting. but thatā€™s another story
[3] Well, except to my kids, because getting in the habit of smiling more does make oneā€™s life go better.

1 Like

So whatā€™s with all these guys who insist on turning the problem about women being expected to smile into a problem for them?

6 Likes

The campaign is not asking you to not smile at anyone - smile away! Itā€™s asking you to not expect a smile in return and, if one is not given, itā€™s asking you to not ask for one.

11 Likes

For while in the 1990s, my parents lived in the Ozarks, way out in the sticks. When I would visit, I was surprised (and somewhat unnerved) by how every single person I passed on the road, whether driving a tractor 50 yards from the road or attending a fruitstand or just driving the opposite direction down State Road 00, would wave at me. All enthusiastic-like, as if I were a long-expected friend or family member. I imagine they might have been smiling, too, if only I were close enough to see.

Few people do that in Southern California, at least in the areas Iā€™ve dwelt. Itā€™s not that weā€™re unfriendly, just that we donā€™t feel the urge to acknowledge the presence of every single person who comes near to crossing our path all the livelong day. Maybe if the number of people who did that did not exceed one or two digits, we might wave and/or smile more.

I donā€™t remember ever telling someone to smile (though Iā€™ve asked people to ā€œsay cheeseā€ more than once under appropriate circumstances). I think itā€™s weird. Peopleā€™s faces and moods are their own. If I can improve someoneā€™s day, Iā€™d like to, but I donā€™t think that telling someone to arbitrarily alter the facial manifestation of whatever theyā€™re feeling to suit my taste is remotely the way to go about it.

9 Likes

Iā€™m doing my annual charity donations right now. Any experience with organizations that would support opportunities for this sort of mind opening work to get legally posted? We need alternatives to the brainwashing advertising that now is the only allowable 2d public message.

2 Likes

The first time I went to America, I was in a supermarket and one of the assistants turned the corner, saw me, and started smiling and coming toward me. I have to admit that it freaked me out a little, to the point where I probably looked a little suspicious. Iā€™ve often been asked to smile in other places where there were quite a few Americans, although there doesnā€™t seem to be the same pressure in other countries. It may take more effort to frown than to smile, but I donā€™t see why a passer by should expect more than a neutral expression. If a stranger smiles at me, I assume that they want to sell me something. If they ask me to smile, itā€™s just infantilising and assumes that my emotions are for their benefit. (Of course this is worse for women and it happens for other reasons, but itā€™s been annoying enough when Iā€™ve experienced it).

5 Likes

Yep. In the city, I ignore everyone, try my best never to make eye contact. Strangers that talk to you want money. I donā€™t smile at people, I donā€™t smile back at people, I donā€™t want to interact with strangers. I am utterly worthless at small talk anyway, trying to start a conversation with me in person is like trying to get blood out of a stone. Give me a few months to get to know you.

Expecting smiles out of random women? Thatā€™s just fucking weird.

Iā€™ve always been a miserable bastard though. Really got sick of being told ā€œcheer up, it might never happenā€.

5 Likes

I think if other forms of harassment werenā€™t such a problem, then a random guy telling a woman on the street to smile wouldnā€™t be such a big deal. Example: woman walks down the street in New York, gets hit on by every other guy, then when someone just says to her ā€œwow itā€™s a beautiful day, huh?ā€ she will naturally think itā€™s some sort of come-on. I have a male friend who is just ridiculously friendly to everyone on the street, male/female/young/old, and itā€™s a completely honest gesture on his part.

I have women (and men) tell me to smile all the time, and I never think of it as harassment even though it sometimes bothers me (Iā€™m not a very happy person and naturally walk around scowling, they are just trying to cheer me up, but pasting on a pretend smile isnā€™t going to make me happy.)

1 Like

Me walking down the street:

4 Likes
4 Likes

Millie,

ā€œIf youā€™re not part of the solution, youā€™re part of the problem.ā€

When I am unsure how to act, I ask other people their opinion. Why, what do you do?

Because of my social position and socialization, I have been unclear if I am part of the solution or part of the problem. Asking others helps me determine the best way I can conduct myself to be part of the solution rather than part of the problem. I donā€™t have problem here ā€“ I am just trying to be a decent person. Itā€™s no different than why I inquire about local social customs before I travel abroad. A little understanding of other peopleā€™s views goes a long way to making the world a better place.

As a side benefit, I do hope providing you the opportunity to make a gratuitous insult made your world a better place today.

Have a nice day! :smile:

3 Likes