Strange Cures is a compulsively readable memoir by musician/magician Rob Zabrecky

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/07/26/strange-cures-is-a-compulsivel.html

1 Like

“Saying off” warts is an old tradition. Burying a rabbit’s foot under a stump with some feathers under a full moon, having a psychic imagine the warts as disappearing. Likely there was some placebo effect going on, or maybe it was the hookworms he caught from the cow shit burrowing into the tissues.

Sorry, I know this wasn’t the worthy focus of your piece. Being a pre-med major and growing up with doctors in the family, things like that just jump out at me.

2 Likes

It is interesting, and I wonder if it was a legit biological agent, just chance, or placebo that had an effect. I’d imagine that cow pat applications would have altered the microflora/microbiome of his hands in several ways, doesn’t have to be hookworms, could be any of a myriad of critters/viruses/bacteria involved.

Also, if he was curious if it worked, and wasn’t in school and ashamed of them, he might have had his hands in his pockets less, so that could have changed their environment too.

1 Like

He looks familiar. Has he been on Fool Us?

@beep54orama
He looks familiar. Has he been on Fool Us?

Yes, “Rob” Zabrecky was on Fool Us. As linked in the article.

Edited for links. Fool Us hyperlink is to attend Fool Us as a live audience member.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.