Strategic butt-coverings in video-games

I understand, it’s completely a slippery slope. One minute, we’re talking about video channels that seem to be more interested in selectively promoting an agenda by :cherries: picking examples than actual progress, the next minute

Anyways.

Since many feminist web sites like The Mary Sue seem to agree with me that Tomb Raider (2013) was an amazing step forward for the franchise in terms of having an interesting, empowered female protagonist in a Tomb Raider game without dumbing it down to sexism …

Returning to the game as a whole, I must point out that there are indeed a number of ways in which Lara is portrayed differently than a man would be. You’d be hard-pressed to find a male action hero shown panting with fear, shaking with cold, holding his best friend’s hand reassuringly, or any of the many other emotive things we see Lara do. That’s not a mark against Tomb Raider. That’s a mark against how other heroes are written. What I found here was a character far more believable than all of the gravely-voiced, iron-jawed, emotionless dudes out there. Lara felt flawed and mortal, and for that, I admired her perseverance all the more. After the countless times I’ve wished to see a leading lady given the same chance as the gents, now the shoe’s on the other foot. I’d love to see a fixed-gender male protagonist portrayed with as much honesty and depth as Lara Croft.

… which is exactly the point made here

and here

Hey, turns out, the very franchise ridiculed in the video is actually a textbook example of showing how we make games better.

Of course, talk is cheap. I thought I’d put my money where my mouth is, and as I loved the hell out of Tomb Raider (2013), I went ahead and pre-ordered Rise of the Tomb Raider, which I was gonna do anyway.

But wait, there’s more! I also pre-ordered two extra Steam giftable copies of Rise of the Tomb Raider

1. One copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider is for @funkdaddy

2. Another copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider for any other person in this topic who posted at least 2 times upstream of this reply, and has a BBS account created more than 1 month ago. PM me to claim, as long as you have a Steam account name, and the above criteria are met, it’s all yours! claimed

3. Ditto for the free copy of Tomb Raider (2013) I got for buying the new game, if you meet the criteria outlined in #2 then PM me and it’s yours. claimed

1 Like