Strategic butt-coverings in video-games

Well let’s see. Top Google hits for “Tomb Raider 2013 feminist review”

A Feminist Reviews Tomb Raider's Lara Croft

The good news is, this version of Lara, while definitely off-balance and vulnerable, is one we can empathize with, and doesn’t project an aura of needing help. Quite the opposite, in fact: The game does an absolutely superb job of balancing her between inexperience and determination. Lara might be wounded and afraid, but she’s going to press on regardless. We do root for her, but she also demands our respect.

Lara has long been considered one of the most well-regarded characters in videogame history. Now she’s one of the most real.

The Mary Sue review, already linked 3 times previously, so I think we covered that adequately cough

Gaming Feminism positive

http://belle-jar.com/2014/01/14/the-new-lara-croft-a-feminist-perspective/

In the recent Channel 4 documentary, ‘Charlie Brooker: Videogames Changed the World’, Rhianna Pratchett explained her motivation:

‘I didn’t really like the way that she’d been adopted by the wider media as somewhat over sexualised and I felt that as a younger female gamer, I was being pushed away from the franchise, and so when I took on the role of helping develop this new, younger Lara, I really thought about what myself as a gamer when I first started out, would have liked.’

Tomb Raider 2013 Review: From Girl to Survivor | Nerdy But Flirty

You know what else is amazing about this game? Women stood behind it. Girl gamers asked for it, bought it, played it, and mostly loved it. This is the proof the industry needs that “if you build it, they will come” should be their mantra! Gamers are hungry for more strong female leads in games.

Not once does Crystal Dynamics portray Lara as an object of sexuality. She has no love interest in the game and no vampish dialogue. Her primary motivation is saving her platonic, female friend, Sam.

As players, we are attracted to Lara as a character because she is a badass, not because she can cartwheel while shooting dual pistols in a tight bathing suit. There is no sheen of overt sexuality that keeps us from appreciating the humanity of Lara.

I can keep going… :cherries:

To others who have posted in the topic at least 2 times upstream, your free Steam copy of Rise of the Tomb Raider is still unclaimed. PM me if you want to claim it!

Looks to be another great game and like the 2013 entry in the franchise, a textbook example of how videogames can get better, a lot better, at representing women.

But I can understand where minimizing that might be important if it doesn’t fit one’s agenda…

1 Like