Strategic butt-coverings in video-games

Your exception might be another person’s go to choice…

-besides I’m not 100% sure the person you think is holding the basketball is, and it really isn’t being held by the person to the left.

Haha, I’m convinced!

Wait, no I’m not. Where’s the beef, bruh?

8 Likes

I understand what that comic is implying, but in a way it’s like saying if you crossed the Dark Knight with The Notebook women would have loved it.

-of course why women love The Notebook in the first place is lost on me.

How about, “unfortunately, women are scrambling to squeeze and balance into them because we live in a male-dominated social order that encourages them to internalize the objectifying heterosexual male gaze”?

See the difference?

14 Likes

uh as a woman I can say with venom that “women” do not love The Notebook…

And if it was only women that liked that movie it wouldn’t have done that well in the boxoffice, jus sayin…

12 Likes

o_0 so it’s men’s fault because they like to look at women?

I am sure the women who see me would like me to dress better. Meh. Hope y’all like Star Wars and KMFDM shirts, because that is 75% of my closet.

I know many women who wear what they want because they like it and it’s more comfortable. And I know women who constantly preen to look their best. I think it’s a personal decision.

2 Likes

Colonel Joan Burton, presented for context of what actual (TV characters portraying) female warriors look like.

Yes. My wife and I are bingeing Army Wives.

Yes, it started out as ironic/background noise viewing.

Yes, I’ve cried 5+/- times in 6 seasons.

4 Likes

Do you know the difference between “actual men” and “a male-dominated social order”? And between “look at” and “objectify”? Because you’re acting like you don’t.

20 Likes

Finally watched the video. I still find her videos underwhelming.

I think she has matured as a presenter, and her messages are more on point than to begin with. I want to say she has gotten funnier too… I’m just not a huge fan of this series.

1 Like

OK, I get what you’re saying, but, let’s be real.

Have you seen this?

Now, let’s not get in an argument about the artistic integrity, or about Gamergate, or any of that. Let’s stick to some facts of the thing. The fact is, Depression Quest is a text adventure, written by someone suffering from depression. Ever been there? If can rob you of your ambition, drive, your life. She managed to get this done, and as someone with depresison, I applaud anyone’s efforts to work against depression, because it’s damned hard imho.

The other point of that is that, while it has some custom elements, it was by and large written in Twine. If you can write a comment in Markdown, or if you can edit Wikipedia entries, you can develop in Twine.

Or heck, you could be old-school and write interactive fiction for, well, any number of engines. Here’s the website of author Emily Short.

Now, take a look at this.

https://scratch.mit.edu/projects/72142756/

I just picked it at random. Now, it doesn’t have amazing art, and they’re using copyrighted music, yadda yadda yadda. The point is, an eleven-year-old girl made this.

It’s a neat language.

I got one of my daughters this book:

It starts out with Scratch, and goes on to Python.

Now, you probably won’t write the next Mass Effect in Pygame, but you might write the next Candy Crush Saga or Don’t Tap The White Tile. You might not even be all that successful. But hell, we’re talking about a video from Feminist Frequency, who had an extremely successful crowdfunding effort. Don’t say, “It can’t be done,” because it can.

And I wish some of you would, because honestly, I legit feel uncomfortable playing games like Mass Effect. I’m playing to have fun, not to ogle women.

Yeah what I’ve seen feels really… I dunno. Like she’s picking and choosing really closely to make it seem like some of this stuff is more prominent in games than it actually is. It feels a lot like she really has no clue what she’s talking about and is pulling it out of her ass a lot of the time.

I mean no disrespect to her, just not that fond of the videos, myself.

I disagree with you entirely. He message is on point, I’m not a huge fan of her presentation.

1 Like

Guess I’m playing the wrong (right?) games then. The earlier mention of picking and choosing from earlier tomb raider games to fit her agenda is an example of what I mean though. Not saying that a number video games don’t have some issues with sexualization or other such things, but I feel like her videos make it sound like this is true in ALMOST EVERY VIDEO GAME EVER, that a lot of the clips she uses ignore points in those games that actually REFUTE what she’s saying… and yeah. Not saying there aren’t some real points hidden under there, just that they aren’t as strong as she makes them out to be sometimes/sometimes she misconstrues things to fit her agenda. Which I suppose everyone does anyway.

What I think is the problem with the “STFU and make you’re own game” crowd is not that games can be difficult (they can), but that they are advocating people being uncritical of media. And, as if that isn’t bad enough, they aren’t even consistent about it. Many people who complain about cultural angles in media criticism do read reviews of movies and games, and you can find them commiserating in the comments sections of reviews online.

I think it is simplistic and dishonest to want reviews “just to know if it is good”, while refusing to engage in any in-depth discussion of why it was made, how it was made, the creative decisions behind it, its cultural context, etc. They are usually hypocrites who like it if their favorite games get attention - but only for things that don’t challenge their thinking, and by extension, their culture. They also operate on the presumption that those who do make games aren’t at all critical of their own work or the work of others, which is generally not true, and would set quite low standards if it was.

15 Likes

Yes, there are examples of games (good games) being written by one person, or a very small group of people with very limited resources. However, these are generally not games that can even hope to compete with AAA titles.

The few that do stand out tend to be passion projects that took a long time and a lot of skill to make. You cannot fault someone who needs to put food on the table to not attempt a project like that with no guarantees that it will break even, let alone make a little money.

Also, that game would be heavily scrutinized and if it even shows a slight crack will be held up as an agument against every one of Anita’s videos.

2 Likes

Funny how no one ever says you have to be a chef to complain about the food.

21 Likes

Just wait until Jalapeno-blasted Ladybutt Bugles come out, and the subsequent criticism…
#ethicsinsnackreviews

1 Like

Or…

“Parts of our city’s bridge keep falling into the river!”
Well, why don’t you become a civil engineer and build your own bridge, then, if you’re so good at complaining?

19 Likes

More like no one with a brain wants to read MRA babies and anti-feminists spew their bile on her videos.

12 Likes

Rear Admiral Grace Hopper - presented as an example of what the highest ranking woman officer in the Navy at the time actually looked like.

14 Likes