Students wore boxes on their heads during exams to prevent cheating

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2019/10/21/students-wore-boxes-on-their-h.html

3 Likes

It looks like Minecraft: Rote Leaning Edition.

20 Likes

Did they check to see if students had written crib notes on the insides of the boxes?

36 Likes

I’d line the inside of my box with mirrors.

Also, so much for “thinking outside the box.”

9 Likes

It doesn’t really stop students from cheating in other ways, only from peeking at other people’s answers. Also if the test has essay questions it’s much more difficult to look at other people’s test answers without being super obvious.

Not that I’ve ever cheated on tests. I’m a paragon of virtue.

5 Likes

They all had cellphones taped inside the boxes.

7 Likes
3 Likes

It was the style at the time…

11 Likes

They all just lost at Feelyat.

2 Likes

Oh, we would have dreamt of having cardboard boxes over our heads!

Having that out of the way (and you know I had to) - what a stupid concept.

4 Likes
9 Likes

They should move to America, where cheating is not only tolerated, but it’s the bedrock of our democracy.

4 Likes

The question is does anyone have the right to keep animals like animals?

2 Likes

That was my first thought. We used to put crib notes inside our hats. Or, if we had to turn our hats around because the professors got wise to that trick, the hats of the people in front of us.* Those boxes are so much bigger than hats.

*Funny, they’re smart enough to become professors but not smart enough to ban hats from the classroom?

3 Likes

As an educator, this was my second thought. (My first thought was, Jesus Christ, what the hell is wrong with people?)

2 Likes

If you’re going to use cardboard to prevent cheating, why wouldn’t you just craft screens to separate the students rather than making them wear boxes on thier heads? :slight_smile:

The absurdity level of the latter option is off the charts!

5 Likes

"Nobody has any right to treat anybody more so students like animals,"

12 Likes

From the 60s. That was great! If that had instead been produced today, it would have been regarded as a masterstroke recreation of period kitsch! But – it being from the 60s – I’m guessing they simply worked with what happened to be laying around and just enough budget to get everybody out into the woods.

2 Likes

Monty Python is always relevant!

4 Likes

I mean it’s unique. I do know the number of times I’ve had people from India interview over the phone, and then sound completely different (and end up being different people) in the software industry is actually on average about once every year. Cheating seems to be a popular thing, especially amongst the upper castes competeing for these jobs.

1 Like