Studio Ghibli of Totoro and Kiki fame opening a new theme park in November

Originally published at: Studio Ghibli of Totoro and Kiki fame opening a new theme park in November | Boing Boing

7 Likes

We’ll see if this changes by then…

from

10 Likes

yeah sounds like a great theme park unless you eat the food and turn into pigs and your daughter has to work for a witch in a bathhouse

12 Likes

Looks like it should be great but it all depends on execution. It can be really hard to convincingly translate the feel of beautiful 2-dimensional painted artwork into physical structures and spaces. The vast majority of images I’ve been able to find of this park are conceptual drawings, not photos. Hopefully they can pull it off.

3 Likes

Im confused…didnt they just have to raise like 100k last year because they were afraid the museum in tokyo was going to close? And they did it through crowdfunding?

1 Like

You know Japan… we’re completely OK if you decide to expand territory overseas and build something like this here.

3 Likes

The flying machines, please, to climb on and move around inside. They can be attached to the ground and be made of safe, heavy materials, but their propellers should all spin, especially the concentric, opposing ones, and jet motors could have like an industrial leaf blower inside, constantly whooshing. Hissing, juddering steam-powered elevators. And there could be creatures made of robotics or even made of real pet animals in costumes. The little dust-spider-mice things in the furnace room in /Spirited Away/, for example, just running around everywhere, squeeping and jibbering, to pick litter up and drag it down holes in the wall. And dog-dragons with long neutral-buoyancy tails. And a pig barn full of real pigs. A refrigerated cave with millions of luminescent spots on the rock-textured ceiling and walls. A real, walking house.

4 Likes

On second thought…

6 Likes

Since 30 days worth of museum tickets sell out in 60 minutes six months in advance, good luck getting into this place for a while.

2 Likes

This looks awesome, although I might pass on Grave of the Fireflies Land.

Sad Face GIF

1 Like

God, I hate it when that happens.

Bonus:
I was looking for a short vid on one of my blogs w/out any joy, asked the google, and found this:

The first one in the comp is actually the one I was looking for. Anyone who mutes it after a while is blameless.

1 Like

Love the Soot Sprites!
Soot Sprites 1

Soot Sprites 2

Soot Sprites 3

4 Likes

I wanna ride a Catbus!

And then then a Mehve!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.