Hayao Miyazaki's beloved 'Totoro' will be focus of Studio Ghibli theme park set to open in 2020

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2017/06/02/totoro-miyazaki-theme-park.html

6 Likes

I want to go to there.

5 Likes

I’m very much looking forward to this.

One note: many articles about this are using a park map as an illustration that looks like someone just traced over Disneyland and put Ghibli stuff there. That isn’t a real map and it’s definitely not what this park will look like. It was a speculative concept illustration of a Disney Ghibli park from several years ago. So don’t get all flipped out about a fakey Disney Ghibli like I momentarily did.

3 Likes

Two years ago:

NPR, why you not timely?

1 Like

My Son insisted that I call him Totoro for about 6 months when he was a lad. Happy times.

10 Likes

Loved the museum last year - we summited Fuji at 5am, hiked back down to the bus by 8.30, then train back to Tokyo to get our 3pm time slot. It was charming and whimsical and took my mind off how stiff my legs were! This looks like another good reason to visit for Tokyo 2020.

NHK World are reshowing the documentary about Miyazaki coming out of his retirement and tackling CGI, airing on Sunday:

1 Like

If I ever make it there I’m gonna ride the heck out of that Cat Bus. It could be the first major amusement park attraction to have visible testicles.

http://imgur.com/gySIZ

14 Likes

I really need to watch that one. To this day I only saw Castle in the Sky, Porco Rosso, Princess Mononoke, Spirited Away, Howl’s Moving Castle, and Ponyo.

1 Like

Please tell me it will have a cat bus monorail. Please please please.

7 Likes

Dooooo it!

The Wind Rises is also worth watching; visually beautiful, but super sad.

The bath attraction will certainly cause some issues

2 Likes

If you want to go old school and AWESOME: Nausicaa.

That is all.

It’s not Miyazaki but it’s 100% top-grade Ghibli: Grave of the Fireflies. It’s so worth watching, but don’t expect any theme park rides based on it.

1 Like

Graveyard of the Fireflies was just … wow. I must agree with you there. Even Roger Ebert said it was one of the greatest movies ever made.

3 Likes

My neighbor Totoro is a must!
Also produced by Ghibli and totaly worth it: When Marnie was there and The tale of princess Kaguya.

I asked my son if he wanted to go to a Totoro theme park and he said “as long as there’s no family bath”.

Not in other countries who aren’t as uptight and shitty.

2 Likes

I have the whole manga at home. I read it three times, maybe four. But yes, I hope I’ll see the animation some day.

I’ve seen it. I even have the DVD. I don’t intend on watching it again alone, thank you very much. I’m working on convincing my fiancee to watch it with me.

I’m not going to watch it again even if I’m in a room with top comedians.

1 Like

Heh. Many people have called it “The Best Movie I Never Want to See Again”.

5 Likes