Studio sculpts giant coin, photographs it alongside normal objects to make them look tiny

Originally published at: http://boingboing.net/2016/04/03/studio-sculpts-giant-coin-pho.html

2 Likes

15 Likes

Looks like there’s tilt shift going on in some of those to enhance the effect.

11 Likes

Tilt shift is like fucking magic.

6 Likes

I had the joy of having a photography course in High School where we had access to 4" x 5" view cameras. Talk about tilt and shift.

3 Likes

Also:

Sudbury’s Big Nickel is 9 m (30 ft) high. Like the real thing, it’s made from steel.

(er, without the nickel plating. Canadian nickels are minted in nickel-plated steel, with a small amount of copper. American nickels are 75% copper and 25% nickel.)

3 Likes

BTW, that pizza-sized $1 Million Canadian gold coin weighs 100 kg. They should have used it for the Mythbusters episode testing whether a coin dropped from the top of the Empire State Building could kill a person or penetrate the ground. They might have gotten different results.

6 Likes

Money makes the human brain appear much smaller that it would otherwise!

3 Likes

20 Likes

Need to photograph it with this:

Paradox!

2 Likes

Funny that he chose a Euro coin for this. Why not a nice Norwegian 10 øre piece?

1 Like

They could have saved a bunch of money by using an oversized paper scale instead, like in this photo of an adobe hut in the Grand Canyon.

7 Likes

As a numismatist who focuses on foreign coins I heartily approve this message. And I want to see the back of the Euro coin since each country produces their own design.
Side note: I’m very disappointed that Ireland didn’t get more creative and just picked one design–the harp–for all their Euro coins.

I wouldn’t fuck with magic. It has too much of a tendency to fuck you up right back.

2 Likes

banana car for scale.

It was kind of in the article.

2 Likes

Ah yes. That whole reading thing. I just blasted through and looked at the images.

2 Likes

It’s totally FUNdamental!

It makes me happy that people do these sorts of things.

4 Likes

I can’t tell how big the scale and arrow are. There should be a banana in the picture.

2 Likes

There IS one there. You just need to enlarge the image to see it. Like about 1,800x.

2 Likes