Study: failed star is actually a rogue planet 12.7 times Jupiter's mass

Originally published at: https://boingboing.net/2018/08/08/study-failed-star-is-actually.html

6 Likes

I don’t understand this grey area…

How? As far as I was aware, there’s a sharp line - it’s a planet until fusion happens, isn’t it? Why would there be an edge to the category before that?

2 Likes

The debate might be that it’s not orbiting a star or other star-like thing. Planets gravitationally dominate (e.g., “clear”) orbits, but if it’s not in an orbit, that whole definition starts to weaken.

2 Likes

I just figured a planet should be big enough to be round, but not so big it starts crushing its atoms.

5 Likes

I’m interested in why it was thought that Brown Dwarfs wouldn’t emit radio waves? Jupiter has it Jovian Decametric Radio Emissions* (Hipster Band Name), so, I would assume that something even larger would be beaming out signals like a Mexican Radio Transmitter.

*Apparently caused by particles at the equator travelling at close to the speed of light (Scream if you want to go faster, kids). How cool is that?!

9 Likes

I thought the same. Why would’nt it emit radio waves? Siily astrophysicists.

3 Likes

Yeah, I mean, its not exactly rocket science… not exactly.

2 Likes

Here’s a good overview of the debate:
https://physicstoday.scitation.org/doi/10.1063/1.2947658

4 Likes

I wonder how many moons it has? (Or would that make them failed planets?)

4 Likes

Lke this?

10 Likes

Related image

9 Likes

Exactly like that :wink:

3 Likes

rogue planet

Isn’t that Earth?

4 Likes

I’m still waiting for the United Space Peace Keeping Force to turn up. I mean, their trade embargo just isn’t working.

3 Likes

… failed star is actually a rogue planet…"

Hey, I know Shia LaBeouf has been acting a trifle strange and packing on a few extra pounds these days, but there’s no need to call him a “rogue planet”!

3 Likes

This is from 2001, so fifteen years out of date,but

Real stars fuse ordinary hydrogen, but substars can fuse deuterium or lithium. (Uninhabited) planets don’t fuse either element

6 Likes

1 Like

… I was actually waiting for a ‘your MOM’ style joke or quip, but this will do. (also, you owe me a new monitor and a drink.) :smiley:

2 Likes

There’s a failed star behind every successful planet.

2 Likes

Doesn’t anybody care what the planet thinks when you call it a failed star? :frowning:

2 Likes