Study: people could be eating a credit card's worth of microplastics per week

I’ve been thinking about this a lot lately, there was a report on how marine life all seem to have microplastic in their digestive tracts, and how the garbage floating on the ocean’s surface is nothing compared to the tiny bits hovering deep below. If this turns out to be a serious threat, we’re screwed, there’s no way to clean it all up. It reminds of that theory years ago that honeybee deaths were being caused by cell phone towers-- of course that was bunk, but it posed an interesting thought experiment: at what point will people be willing to give up on a modern convenience? Maybe when crops fail and they’re starving, but by then it’s too late, so why stop.

2 Likes

And that’s just the Tyson’s chicken!

But seriously, I just saw something about how many more plastic particles people who drink bottled water were ingesting, and it was a lot, so since they didn’t distinguish between tap and bottled water, that could be a big influence on the numbers here.

2 Likes

I am totally fine with the complete ban of single-use plastic.

2 Likes

Thankfully i don’t eat as much meat these days, particularly fish (as much as i love fish). Been leaning more on vegetarian dishes but still do eat meat on occasion. Still this news is very concerning for everyone involved, even if you’re careful about what you eat this is still affecting others around you.

1 Like

While a ban on plastics is probably entirely reasonable, in the end, don’t these microplastics persist in the environment precisely because they’re mostly inert and don’t get substantially broken down by normal biological processes?

In urban environments, they may carry PAHs – molecules found in coal and tar − and metals.

And dihydrogen monoxide too, I bet.

1 Like

It looks like filter paper (for coffees etc) will cut out most microplastics? So if you’re bothered you can use that to clean your water

A good water filter will help too, which i do use :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.