Stupid groundhog predicts six more weeks of winter

bill_murray_gif_6

11 Likes

Apparently the Dalai Lama has commented on the movie with approval, saying its message is a good representation of Buddhist ideals, which I can see.

Also he really likes that Sonny & Cher tune. (/s)

6 Likes

4 Likes

Turns out, it was an impostor. Goes by the name of Punxsutawney Bob.

1 Like

The only true story:

1 Like

Previously…

2 Likes

I celebrate Ground Hog Day by eating pork sausage.

2 Likes

That was always my issue with the concept of the ‘groundhog predictions’; we always still have 6 weeks left of winter to go anyway, regardless to whether it ‘sees its’ shadow’ or not.

1 Like

Braised Groundhog Recipe
Level of Difficulty: Easy Serving Size: 6 servings
Ingredients
1 (5 to 6 pound) groundhog, cut into 6 serving pieces
2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 3/4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
2 medium onions, chopped
3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
1 teaspoon fresh thyme, chopped
3/4 stick unsalted butter, cut into tablespoon size pieces
2 1/2 cups dry white wine
1/3 cup Dijon mustard
1/4 cup whole grain mustard

Directions
Rinse the groundhog pieces, remove any fat, and cut out the glands underneath the front legs and armpits, then pat the meat dry. Season with 1 tablespoon Kosher salt and 1 teaspoon pepper.
Heat the oil in a large heavy skillet, then brown the meat, in batches. This will take about 5 minutes per batch. Transfer the meat to a medium heavy pot. Reserve the skillet.
Add the broth to the pot.
Pour off any fat from skillet, then add the onions, garlic, thyme, and 3 tablespoons butter and cook over medium heat, stirring and scraping up any brown bits, until onions are softened. This will take about 5 minutes.
Add the wine and boil until the liquid is reduced by half. This will take about 8 minutes.
Pour the mixture over the groundhog. Cover the pot and bring to a gentle simmer over medium heat. Braise the groundhog until it is very tender. This will take 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Transfer the groundhog to a serving dish and keep warm.
Bring the liquid in the pot to a boil and reduce it to about 3 cups. This will take about 10 minutes. Whisk in the mustards. Remove the pan from the heat and add the remaining 3 tablespoons butter, swirling the pot until incorporated. Season sauce with salt and pepper and pour over the groundhog.

2 Likes

I’ve said for years that somebody oughta have a little talk with Phil the night before the big show. Unlike other groundhogs, Phil lives indoors, gets regular meals, has a wife, and a fan club. Lots of groundhogs would probably kill to be in Phil’s place. Hypothetically, if he got lost in the woods and had to fend for himself…that’d be a real shame:

3 Likes

That explains why he didn’t bite anyone’s finger off.

1 Like

So why is the Summer Solstice called Midsummer’s Day?

ETA: I found an answer which explains how the solstices and equinoxes can be both the start and middle of a season.

2 Likes

Phil uses homophobia.
It’s super effective!

“Nice place you’ve got here Phil, the missus looks comfy. I see the fan club has done a bang-up job decorating too, nice, very nice. It’d be a real shame if something were to happen to your place. Your wife. A terrible accident, nobody’s fault. You choke on some groundhog kibble. A cigarette butt on some oily rags. Ever seen what fire does to fur, Phil? Not a pretty sight. Not pretty at all. Good luck on that prediction tomorrow!”

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 5 days. New replies are no longer allowed.