Submerged car containing man missing for 20+ years found on Google Earth

Shplorted everywhere. Great turn of phrase there.

1 Like

Britain does centralised fear pretty well.

3 Likes

Looks like it might be close to a steep embankment, so it might be dangerous to get close enough to look directly down.

(as demonstrated by the dead guy in the car)

2 Likes

Where do you think the idea for Scarfolk came from?

4 Likes

Same thing happened to an old local guy who mysteriously disappeared. Everyone presumed he must have been murdered. He’d been driving along a well sealed rural road and presumably had a heart attack, left the road, plowed through a farm fence and wound up upside down in a dam not far from the road. After some time the break in the fence was repaired and the farmer did not notice any evidence of wheel tracks through the scrub. It was only after perhaps 5 years when during a drought that the water level had dropped sufficiently to expose the vehicle (and skeleton).

7 Likes

I lived near the University of Florida for over ten years, and I’m going with the idea that you and @spetrovits are both right, despite the distance.

Up there, you had three kinds of water. Clean, clear spring water that you could see the bottom, mostly in “holes”, dark water in still lakes and ponds that is difficult to see through even despite refraction (Lake Alice on the U of F campus is a good example – you can’t even see the gators until they surface), and then in nearby neighborhoods, the most brackish water of all in the retention ponds.

I guess I could include the water U of F uses for the swim team. Who knows what’s in there if it had any connection with lack of brain cells in swimmers like Ryan Lochte. /s

ETA: It wasn’t until recently (the past couple of decades) that G-ville even knew about the submerged canoes in Lake Newnan, east of town, after the droughts of the 90s.

13 Likes

You know what oogs me out about this? Imagine being the people who lounge at that pool all summer, never knowing that about 40 feet away a rotting corpse was being nibbled by pond scum for decades. OOOOOOOOOGGGGGGGGG

8 Likes

Something similar, but laughable…in Florida, of course.

6 Likes

I can’t take all the credit; reality and satire converge in Florida to produce high weirdness.

10 Likes

What… what is wrong with the world today?

2 Likes

Dieter is.

2 Likes

Great, so they probably take a dim view of humans. Let’s hope they don’t want revenge. We’ve had enough dystopian sci-fi plots become part of our reality lately. I don’t want to see anything from those Planet of the Apes reboots.

5 Likes

This makes me wonder if drones are being used more by search and rescue teams. Aside from ponds, there are many stories about lost hikers that might have happier endings if that technology could be used as a faster, cheaper alternative.

5 Likes

…and airdrop emergency first aid/survival packages until human help arrives.

6 Likes

It doesn’t have to be the apex predator.

7 Likes

I guess being dead is one of the two reasons Germans accept as sufficient reason to be late.

2 Likes

Explains a lot, really. Has President Biff fallen into any water hazards at Doral and gotten “swimmer’s ear?”

3 Likes

A Somebody Else’s Problem field , or S.E.P. , is a useful way of safely protecting something from unwanted eyes:

An S.E.P. can run almost indefinitely on a torch or a 9 volt battery, and is able to do so because it utilises a person’s natural tendency to ignore things they don’t easily accept, like, for example, aliens at a cricket match. Any object around which an S.E.P. is applied will cease to be noticed, because any problems one may have understanding it (and therefore accepting its existence) become Somebody Else’s Problem. An object becomes not so much invisible as unnoticed…

9 Likes

Google Earth 26.6249127 N 80.2276356 W

If not being done/considered now, it’s looking like Google Earth could be used as an investigative resource. Perhaps some image scanning software could run through at least the logical/speculated routes of missing persons, scanning for car/car-like images not plainly on the roads. More than a few stories out there of watery findings and cliff-crashes.

1 Like