Summer is over. Juggalos are forever

I’ve never been to a “meeting” of the Juggalos, but I have attended Dead concerts (I’m an old fart). I never saw anyone belted in the head with a flying can of Faygo Cola at a Dead show

1 Like

True that, but there is a particularly good tape where Bobby asks between numbers for the person trying to pass the bottle up to the stage to not throw it but to pass it forward so nobody gets hurt…

2 Likes

And none were added to a facial recog database.

1 Like

Fuckin’ magnets – how do they work?
Good stuff right, but it’s the violent, misogynistic, and homophobic lyrics I have a hard time getting into.

3 Likes

lol this is wayyy too true to be on the internet

2 Likes

Now that Violent J’s daughter is a known furry and he has his own fursona (Kung Fu Joe) there’s a furry/juggalo confederation developing. Anybody who messes with furries now on will have to be watching out for juggalos dispensing justice.

3 Likes

Every year I invite people to the Gathering and everyone says they want to go, until it comes time to go to the middle of nowhere and hang out with clowns for four days. Even the media surge has come and gone. There are a few juggalo tourists every year, but it will never become commercialized. There’s no networking, no one here is going to give you a job or invest in your app. It’s just juggalos being happy to be around people who won’t make fun of them for a weekend.

2 Likes

I am working on my coffee table book as we speak…

2 Likes

8 Likes

I recently saw a guy with what is simultaneously one of the funniest and saddest tattoos have ever seen: A pair of beach sandals and a beer bottle next to the logo of the public placement service for unemployed people. Now that’s a statement.

1 Like

Yeah, it’s an odd one. It seems, from all accounts I’ve read, to be a really warm and welcoming community that has grown up around some really unpleasant performers and their music.

I don’t know how old you are, but I’m old. When I was lad, homophobic was the default. Not excusing it, just saying it’s quite likely that things have progressed in that culture as it has in culture at large.

Yes

and go to Bohemian Grove if you want to see it a century from now

https://www.tabletmag.com/scroll/243733/jewcy-faygo

4 Likes

Llook forward to seeing it on shelves!

Take that Time Life! :smile:

Every year me and a couple friends idly discuss going to the Gathering (yes, as tourists), and what stops us is 1.) the cost, and 2.) we think we would be bored and annoyed after about two hours of non-stop Jugga-mania. I think the nature of the event effectively inhibits non-Juggalos from coming, which is perfect.

They were when I was younger, but not notably more so than other rap acts and fandoms of the time.The language was terrible, but my local Juggaloes seemed to have a pretty large and welcoming LGBT fanbase.

I’m not so sure. The Gathering of today is substantially less commercial than the burning man of 15 years ago. There are a lot of class and content issues that make the Gathering less friendly to affluent fly in campers.

The little imp of the perverse lurking in my head loves this idea, because Milo would meet a pretty unwelcoming culture. Furries have been having a bit of a Nazi problem lately, which gave him hope of a foothold. Juggaloes for all of their other faults have always been pretty vigorously supportive of anti-racist action.

I’ve largely seen the opposite. The furries I knew were accepted, or at leas tno more looked down on than everyone else and Violent J went to a furry convention in an ICP fursuit last year. Regularly walking around in clown makeup tends to make other nontraditional personal expressions not seem that odd.

2 Likes

Yeah I’m sure all them red maga hatters are also a really warm and welcoming community that has grown up around some really unpleasant performers, still tho not a tune I’d dance to.

2 Likes

“Out on the road today I saw a
ICP Clown sticker on a Cadillac
A little voice inside my head said
Don’t look back, you can never look back“

2 Likes

Really? Our definitions of commercial must differ then, because I don’t remember a MERCH BAZAAR or FOOD COURTS at the burning man or anything for sale other than ice and coffee.