Summer Olympics 2024 - let the games begin!

9 Likes

Presumably, she beat a bunch of people to get there. Was it an Eric the Eel remix?

3 Likes

Not quite, but I saw a video of the qualifying event she won to earn her spot on the team. I’m not convinced there weren’t some shenanigans in the judging because it sure seemed to me like the other finalist was better. Of course, this is competitive breakdancing, so I’m sure there are differences in what judges are looking for compared to what a less than casual fan of breakdancing like me sees as good. I think she also said in an interview that she knew she couldn’t beat anyone on technical skill and proficiency (she’s a 36 year old college professor) so she went for creativity. Which…fair, I guess, but again…to my less than untrained eye, it just didn’t look very coordinated and it didn’t seem to match the music.

I didn’t watch any of it, but most people who did say the whole breakdancing competition was pretty boring. Apparently Snoop couldn’t even make it through the whole thing, leaving halfway through. This is probably a one and done appearance of breakdancing in the Olympics.

5 Likes

Brooke Raboutou won a silver medal for Women’s Sport Climbing in Boulder and Lead.

4 Likes

Madison mayhem (this is NBC sorry, couldn’t find another decent one).

Very Rollerball with extra chaos, Italy managed to lose gold with bungled slinging, bits of bike all over the track as several more cyclists taken out, Portugal scoop win after 200 laps.

4 Likes

Jordan’s sister has things to say.

6 Likes

The inquiry into the Difficulty Value of Jordan Chiles’ floor exercise routine was filed in good faith and, we believed, in accordance with FIG rules to ensure accurate scoring

Yeah, that would be more believable if their own coach hadn’t admitted they threw in the review as a hail Mary rather than on merit.

“At this point, we had nothing to lose, so I was like ‘We’re just going to try,” Team USA coach Cecile Landi said of the inquiry. “I honestly didn’t think it was going to happen but when I heard her scream, I turned around and was like ‘What?’”

(From your earlier article)

Personally, I see this headline as Ana Barbosu vindicated after spoiler attempt by American team. I feel bad for Chiles of course, but happy that justice prevailed.

3 Likes
4 Likes
8 Likes

Sassy Greys Anatomy GIF by ABC Network

10 Likes
6 Likes
6 Likes

I know opinions are mixed, but I really enjoyed the few bits of coverage I saw that included some Snoop commentary. I like how he showed that you don’t have to have any technical expertise in order to just tune in and admire the athleticism of all these athletes.
And how he didn’t feel the need to talk through entire routines, which some people annoyingly did do. Especially frustrating during routines with musical accompaniment.

7 Likes

Now that the Olympics Games are over, brace yourselves for the Games devised by Billionaires that nobody asked for:

8 Likes

I know right? Nobody complained in 2016, and somehow now this whole culture war stuff kicked in. Thank you, far-right.

3 Likes

You mean the ones where the rich assholes release a bunch of poor people on a private island and hunt them for sport?

8 Likes
4 Likes

And now for something completely different…

6 Likes

He’s claiming his Facebook account was deleted over something he said on Xitter. “I’ll take THINGS THAT NEVER HAPPENED for 1000, please, Ken.”

7 Likes

Don’t they have team doctors on hand, especially since this ding dong was running with 102 degree fever. He was shedding virus everywhere with no regard to anyone around him. He could have at least worn a mask to the start line and put one back on when he finished.

Coach Lance Brauman praised Botswana’s Letsile Tebogo, who claimed gold, and Kenny Bednarek, who secured silver.

But he also feels Lyles deserves extra praise for getting a bronze despite suffering from coronavirus at the time.

“Those guys raced great,” he told The Associated Press. “But to get a bronze medal in 19.70 with a temperature of about 102, that wasn’t too bad.”

"This was one of the scariest moments of my life!

"Watching my son hold his chest gasping for air while the stadium security refused to call a Dr. as I begged them to send him help.

"They also refused to do anything to help. They totally ignored me! No parent should ever have to experience this feeling of helplessness!

"However, I want to thank the @nbcolympics team for helping me during this moment. Thank you for seeing me & my son as human beings and not just another story.

"Words cannot express my gratitude for your empathy, professionalism, and kindness.

"Also thank you @usatf staff who let me cry on their shoulders.

"To the security team, I pray if your loved one ever needs help, they get treated better than you treated us.

“I also thank God he is getting better.”

10 Likes