Sunday song: "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star

Originally published at: Sunday song: "Fade Into You" by Mazzy Star | Boing Boing

15 Likes

College love.

I will always have feelings related to someone when this or Sarah McLachlan’s Possession plays. Very imprinted.

10 Likes

It remind me of leaving the album in the university Womyn’s center and never seeing it again. But I sure listened to the copy I got off Napster a million times.

10 Likes

The first two Mazzy Star Albums are basically perfect. David Roback’s passing last year was a huge loss.

12 Likes

Nothing can replace or stand in its place.

8 Likes

Though it was released when I was no longer young, it made me dream of possibilities.

8 Likes

That one was on my third-date playlist during my NYC years. So yeah, good memories.

12 Likes

Heh. I can’t remember which track, but I used part of that album for my directing of a scene from Death and the Maiden. The professor deemed the music macabre.

9 Likes

This was my go-to album in high school when I wanted to get my overactive nerd brain to chill out before bedtime. I would put my headphones on, shut my eyes, and just let Hope’s soothing voice and David’s noodling guitar riffs carry me away.

6 Likes

I had the good luck to have already heard this song when my friend with cooler music taste than me heard it for the first time. She just froze and said “Who? What…? … oh wow.” Then she sat down and listened, and nobody spoke. Just smiled, between jaw drops.

5 Likes

Aw man. I didn’t know we’d lost him.

1 Like

Damn, just the nostalgia alone brings a tear to my eye.

7 Likes

OMG the nostalgia! I got this with Q magazine May 1995 :

It has “Into Dust” - which is even more ethereal and dreamy than “Fade”.

Q made the best cover discs.

2 Likes

As a fellow fan, I highly recommend checking out the Holy Motors song “Honeymoon,” which sounds like a beautiful hybrid of “Fade into You” and “Wicked Game” by Chris Isaac.

3 Likes

Yep, one of my favorite albums of the 90’s for chilling out and bringing things down to a slow, steady speed. Still listen to it regularly, and there’s a ton of great tracks to go along with the dreamy perfection of Fade Into You.

3 Likes

I honestly don’t know how I know this song, but I know it. It’s as if it’s always been in my head. I don’t own it on any physical media, nor have I bought it from iTunes. I haven’t listened to the radio (except a little NPR) since my commuting days in the ‘90s, and I am pretty sure I didn’t hear it played on the stations I listened to then. Perhaps it was my brief flirtation with Pandora in 2008? A mystery. In any case, it’s a lovely song. I need to go check out the album now…

3 Likes

Then you might enjoy going back even further!

4 Likes

Ah, the 90s. So much good stuff, though I never owned this CD.

An all-time favorite. Just a perfect song, from where I sit. See also, “Into Dust” and “Halah.” So many others, too, but these three will always stand out for me.

3 Likes

This was half of my 1995.
The other half was an introduction to all the club music in the best ways - goth clubs and gay clubs.

Mazzy Star, tho - I love it but this is a song I have learned to dread because of karaoke. It’s always someone who thinks they can sing like Hope. They can’t.

5 Likes