Sunlight is the Best Disinfectant

I haven’t watched his show since.

13 Likes

For 5 long years, every day, in every media outlet on the planet it was: ‘Trump said X, can you BELIEVE IT??!?’. Yes, he’s an attention wh0re.

Now it’s ‘Lauren Bobert / MTG / DeSantis / Musk said X, can you BELIEVE IT??!?’. Yes, they’re attention wh0res. They’ll say something crazier tomorrow.

I’m a bit disappointed to see these stories keep hitting BB.

1 Like

Just ignoring the lunacy won’t make it stop.

15 Likes

You don’t get rid of fascists by ignoring them. We tried that and here we are anyway.

15 Likes

Apparently this is already a whole long thread, hopefully I’m not derailing anything.

These stories take oxygen from for-real journalism. As someone (apparently not Orwell) put it:

“Journalism is printing what someone else does not want published; everything else is public relations.”

They absolutely want us to waste energy every day getting hysterical about some quote or other, – when we do we become part of their PR campaign.

The 1/6 hearings are happening now, with for-real new and verified evidence of the fascists at work. That’s sunlight disinfecting.

Focusing on the quote-of-the-day is a distraction.

1 Like

Once again, we ignore fascists at our peril. they are in the government and we need to know what they are saying, because it has real world effects. It matters that she’s targeting trans people, because trans people are in the crosshairs in a number of laws being passed across the country. There was just a bunch of fascists arrested for planning to disrupt a pride parade. If they had not been arrested, they would have killed people, and people like MTG using language like this gives these people encouragement and cover for what they are doing.

We don’t stop this by ignoring it.

15 Likes

Politicians attacking trans people is news. It effects real people’s lives.
It certainly effects my life.

16 Likes

Meme Reaction GIF by Robert E Blackmon

why is it so difficult to get people to understand that the things politicians say, who have a large platform, has a real world effect on real human beings…

10 Likes

And people standing up to that is necessary. It certainly lets trans people know they’re not alone.

And let’s everyone else know that trans people aren’t alone.

15 Likes

Uh Huh Reaction GIF by Originals

11 Likes

How old is this XKCD comic?

It’s from 2006? How come some people still haven’t learned?

17 Likes

I can only assume it’s because they don’t want to, and that they read shitty comics like Dilbert rather than smarts ones like XKCD!

There’s an XKCD (or a Cat and Girl or an Existential Comics…)

12 Likes

Someone has to be one of the days’s lucky 10-thousand!

7 Likes

Getting awful tired of these dumbasses constantly spewing the stupidest and / or most loathsome shit they can think up just to get people to keep paying attention to them. I mean, I don’t necessarily fault Boing Boing for repeatedly falling into the trap, but it is disheartening that the tactic is so effective.

2 Likes

It’s a fun episode, but keep in mind that in real life looking away from a giant creature on a rampage leaves you more rather than less vulnerable.

7 Likes

Sigh, I know, and clearly the mods are making the same point. But it is exhausting. Can’t she just fuck off already?

Not a mod. Yes, it’s exhausting. That’s life when you’re fighting fascists.

6 Likes

No, it’s not. Because MTG and people in power, with real power over peoples’ lives trying to normalize those hateful things help give rise to, and empower people to:

15 Likes

The same point was made earlier, with an xkcd no less. I’m still not convinced.

Tbh I barely glanced at the quote. There was one yesterday, there will be one tomorrow.

If you google ‘boebert trans tampons’, it’s the Independent, pink news, lgbtnation, thehill, newsweek…

https://www.google.com/search?q=boebert+trans+tampons

…NOT fox news, OANN, breitbart.

It’s bait for the left, agitating propaganda. We’re platforming them. Getting pissed and talking about it makes the lunatic right love her all the more, that is what gives her power… and votes.

The worst of the worst was Trump, and that was absolutely his and Bannon’s strategy. His attention spigot was finally turned off after Jan 6th, and aren’t we all the better for it? We all know who he is. Boebert’s people know who she is.

Deplatforming works.

1 Like

Platforming is giving them a place to squawk.

Commenting on their repulsive behavior while not letting them publish it on your site or respond to your assessment of them isn’t platforming.

17 Likes